This peach blueberry pie is our vegan version of a summer classic, packed with fresh blueberries and peaches. Sweet, nutty and comforting.
It’s Raquel! I’m Vicky’s daughter and Ruthy’s niece and today I’m stealing this post to share a story with you 🙂
Blueberry peach pie. I know what your thinking, such a typical, “boring” summer dessert… But trust me, this, is no ordinary pie… at least not for me!
To me, it’s a fantastic memory about two of my favorite summer fruits. Blueberries are sweet and just plain delicious; peaches, juicy and refreshing… Love them! One of my favorite summer memories is from last summer, when my aunt Rebeca (Kita) and her family came from Israel and my grandparents were here from Spain. One day we were looking for something fun to do. But you know, it’s hard to please everyone when the age range is between 4-70!! So we were trying to decide what to do and my mom thought about going to one of the farms around here to pick blueberries.
We really went for the kids, but surprisingly we all had a really great time. There were rows and rows of blueberry bushes ready for us to pick from. I can still see the little kids searching high and low for the for the biggest, bluest, plumpest berries!! Picking the peaches was definitely easier… but still a lot of fun!
We went home with like 5 pounds of blueberries (no joke!!! Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a little but trust me, there were A LOT of berries!). Way more than we could have eaten (even with 15 people at home!) so we decided we wanted to do something exciting with them.
My aunt thought of blueberry peach pie, and within a couple of hours, we had one coming out of the oven. It smelled sooo good!!!! And it was gone 5 minutes later!! Even the kids were excited to taste it, since they picked the fruit themselves.
I haven’t had another blueberry peach pie since my family left last year. I guess partly because I wanted to save the memory of the incredible summer I had with everyone and partly because it never felt right to eat it without my entire family present. To me, now, it’s more than just a pie. It’s a beautiful family memory.
Sometimes food can mean so much more than just flavors, textures and smells. To me, most of the time means family memories.
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe and maybe get to create your own memories 🙂
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3–4 tbsp cold unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375F
- To prepare the crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in the food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Add coconut oil and pulse a few more times, until you get a cornmeal like consistency. Add almond milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and keep pulsing until the mixture comes together and form a dough. Refrigerate for 10 minutes
- In the meantime, combine the filling ingredients in a bowl, toss well and set aside
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 11 inch circle. Transfer to a 9 inch pie dish and cut out the excess dough (do not discard)
- Pour the filling over the crust. Roll out the extra dough and cut it into strips. Arrange over the filling to create your favorite pattern. Sprinkle to top lightly with sugar
- Place the pie on a large baking sheet (it will catch any juices that might spill from the pie). Place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about an hour (if the edges start to brown to quickly, cover them loosely with aluminum foil)
- Serving Size: 1/8 slice
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 27
- Sodium: 83
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT! YOU DIDN’T? TELL US WHY! YOU WANT TO MAKE IT, BUT YOU HAVE QUESTIONS? WE’RE HERE TO HELP! CONNECT WITH US VIA INSTAGRAM, TWITTER , PINTEREST OR FACEBOOK OR SIMPLY LEAVE US A COMMENT HERE. WE WANT TO GET TO KNOW YOU!