Our gluten-free Lemon Blueberry Cake does double duty – delivering lemony brightness and dense sweet blueberries in a beautiful almond cake that is perfect for Passover, Easter, or other special occasions
Lemon Blueberry Cake
There is something wonderful about baking with citrus, especially lemon. Its tangy flavor enhances cakes and cookies and has a sunny brightness that creates light and delicious Spring and Summertime desserts.
Our Lemon Blueberry Cake is a moist, grain-free cake that features the classic pairing of lemon and blueberries in a rich batter of almond meal, eggs, and sugar. Its sophisticated flavors make a perfect dessert or brunch dish and will make a cheerful breakfast basket when baked in pretty muffin liners for a satisfying breakfast on the go.
Citrus Zest Makes Your Cakes Best
We are thrilled to hear that so many people are beginning to bake with citrus zest thanks to the popularity and affordability of micro-plane zesters. When baking with zest, the general rule is – less is more. The essential oils found in the fruit peel give it that incredible burst of aroma and taste, so a tablespoon or less should be a good starting point for baking each dish.
When using citrus zest, remember to wash the fruit with vegetable wash and dry. Many people prefer to use organic fruit for zesting to avoid any pesticide residue, but even organic fruit should be cleaned well before zesting. Be sure to use all available space on the fruit to avoid cutting into the bitter white pith. Of course, once you’ve zested the peel, the fruit can be squeezed for juice or sectioned for eating.
Try serving our Lemon Blueberry Cake on top of a paper doily, and garnish with lemon slices, fresh blueberries, or a quick sugar glaze made from a few drops of orange juice and confectioner’s sugar. You may want to serve this delicious cake with a glass of Cold-Brew Coffee, or serve it for an incredible brunch alongside our Orange Medley Smoothie Bowl, Cinnamon-Raisin Quinoa Granola Parfaits, and hearty Fresh Mozzarella Mushroom-Eggplant Shakshuka.
Other Blueberry Recipes You Will Love
- Blueberry Raspberry Bars (Vegan and gluten-free)
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Frozen Blueberry Lemonade
- Meyer Lemon Blueberry Cake Donuts
- Coconut Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Crumble
- Blueberry Muffing Protein Grits
- Blueberry Corn Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Matcha Waffles
- Vegan Peach Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Lime Frozen Margarita
- Paleo Blueberry Crisp
Did you like this Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Cake? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!
Our gluten-free Lemon Blueberry Cake does double duty – delivering lemony brightness and dense sweet blueberries in a beautiful almond cake that is perfect for Passover, Easter, or other special occasions.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 medium organic lemons (or to taste)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8 inch round baking pan and place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan. Place oven rack in medium-low position
- Combine the almond meal, potato starch and baking powder in a bowl, and mix well. Set aside
- Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat for 3-4 minutes. Add the almond meal mixture and mix until just combined
- Fold in the blueberries, but reserve a few to place top of the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the greased lined pan (See Note #1)
- Place the reserved blueberries on top of the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool completely and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving
- The batter will be thick and may be hard to spread into the mold, just wet you hands to help you spread the batter.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: ⅛
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 11.1
- Sodium: 18
- Fat: 15.2
- Saturated Fat: 1.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19.3
- Fiber: 3.2
- Protein: 7.6
- Cholesterol: 46.5