Seasonal spices make this sweet and super moist Vegan Nog Sticky Toffee Pudding a wonderful crowd-pleasing holiday dessert.
Sticky toffee pudding. Just the name makes your mouth water, doesn't it?
I have to admit though, I had never heard of it until a few years ago in 2019. I forget where I saw it for the first time, but right away, it caught my attention. After looking for recipes and pictures online, I became even more curious about it. And because there's nothing I love more than a challenge when it comes to cooking, I was determined to come up with a vegan version of it.
This must have been of those recipes that we were meant to come up with because we barely had to do any testing. Came out perfectly after the first try. And you know what else? When we asked our followers on Facebook what Holiday treats they would like to see "veganized", the first response was (yes, you guessed it), sticky toffee pudding. To give it a holiday spin, we used vegan nog instead of plant milk for the cake and sauce.
So here it is. Hope you enjoy it!
How to make Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding Video
Let the cake cool slightly. Using a thick skewer or chopstick, poke holes on the cake.
Slowly pour about half the sauce all over.
Let the cake absorb the sauce
Serve with a dollop of vegan whipped topping and drizzle with more sauce
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER RECIPES WITH DATESPrint
Seasonal spices make this sweet and super moist Vegan Nog Sticky Toffee Pudding a wonderful crowd pleasing holiday dessert.
- 8oz chopped pitted dates (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups vegan nog beverage
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- For the sauce (makes 1 cup) :
- ½ cup vegan nog beverage
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp natural vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ to ½ tsp nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 tsp bourbon (or to taste, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a non stick 9x9 square baking pan with cooking spray
- To prepare the cake, combine chopped dates and nog in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add baking soda (the mixture will become foamy), stir well and add ground flax seeds. Set aside
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside
- Using an electric mixer, cream coconut oil and sugar at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute
- Reduce speed and slowly add about ⅓ of the nog/date mixture. Add about ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Repeat 2 more times alternating nog and flour mixtures
- Transfer batter to baking pan and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Combine nog, sugar and coconut oil in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, whisk in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and continue cooking for another minute. Remove from heat and add bourbon, if using. Set aside until ready to use (the sauce will thicken as it cools)
- Let the cake cool slightly. Using a thick skewer or chopstick, poke holes on the cake. Slowly pour about half the sauce all over. Serve with a dollop of vegan whipped topping and drizzle with more sauce
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 3x3 Square
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 54
- Sodium: 440
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 73
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4.6
- Cholesterol: 0