This deliciously decadent and oh-so-easy Tahini Stuffed Date recipe dipped in decadent dark chocolate can be enjoyed as an afternoon treat, or as the most enchanting dessert.
We love stuffed dates for the incredible punch of sweet and fabulous flavor that they deliver in bite-size portions. Plus, we love the fact that whenever we serve our Tahini Stuffed Dates, a chorus of oh’s and ah’s emanate from the table right after the very first bite.
You’ll have the same effect on your guests with these chewy, chocolate-covered stuffed dates that take minutes to prepare with just a simple handful of ingredients.
Our Halva Stuffed Date recipe features tahini, powdered sugar, and roasted sesame seeds blended into a delicious cream filling. Once the halva mixture is blended and the dates are stuffed, we freeze them before dipping half in dark chocolate and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. We then return the dates to the freezer until ready to serve.
Freezing gives the stuffed dates a wonderfully chewy texture because the natural sugars in the fruit prevent them from hardening when frozen. What’s great is that you can always have a batch on hand for easy meal planning or last-minute special occasions!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Stuffed Dates
Start by removing the pits from the dates. Check the inside of the date and make sure it looks good and you don’t see any black film inside. If you do discard the date.
Whisk well the tahini and powdered sugar
Add toasted sesame seeds and whisk again
Filled the dates with tahini, sugar and sesame mixture and place in the freezer.
Ones the dates are frozen, dip in chocolate and place in the freezer again until ready to enjoy.
Easy Stuffed Date Variations for Every Palate
This recipe is so quick and easy, you’ll want to experiment with other flavors. Try stuffing the dates with a blend of:
- Pistachios and Maple Syrup
- Hazelnuts and Agave
- Almond flour, Sugar, and Orange Blossom Water
- Walnuts (you can find the recipe in our cookbook “TAHINI & TUMERIC: 101 Middle Eastern Classics Made Irresistibly Vegan” )
Serve the dates alongside rows of plain dried fruit like apricots, figs, pears, or apples; a small dish of pistachios, and a pot of mint tea.
Did you like our chocolate-dipped stuffed dates? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
This deliciously decadent and oh-so-easy Halva Stuffed Date recipe dipped in decadent dark chocolate can be enjoyed as an afternoon treat, or as the most enchanting dessert.
22–24 Medjool Dates
2/3 cup Tahini
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered sugar
1/8 -1/4 tsp cardamom ( optional, see Note 1)
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
FOR THE CHOCOLATE COATING
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tsp refined coconut oil
- Line a large baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside
- Using a sharp paring knife, carefully score the dates vertically, open them and carefully remove the pit and any hard end, if present. Also check the inside of the date for any black film, and discard the date.
- Whisk the tahini and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the cardamom, if using, and toasted sesame seeds
- Stuff each date with about 1 to 1 1/4 tsp of tahini mixture and place them on the lined baking sheet
- Place baking sheet in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes (or longer, if you need to)
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heat proof bowl, and melt (you can use a microwave in 20 second increments or on the stove on a double boiler)
- Remove the dates from the freezer. Dip each date halfway through in the melted chocolate and place them back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the chocolate and return to freezer until ready to eat
- Cardamon adds a wonderful, sort of flowery taste to the tahini. However, it has a powerful assertive flavor, so use it sparingly. If you’re not familiar with it, we recommend that you taste it first.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed date dipped in chocolate
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 19.6
- Sodium: 2.7
- Fat: 6.6
- Saturated Fat: 2.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23.7
- Fiber: 2.4
- Protein: 2.1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: rosh Hashanah, dates, recipe, halva, halvah, chocolate, tahini, sesame, gluten-free, vegan, snack, dessert, natural