Make a batch of these dreamy, creamy dark chocolate truffles. They'll become your go-to 55 calorie guilt free treat. Trust us, try them and you will thank us later.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are traditionally made with chocolate ganache. Chocolate ganache is made by pouring hot cream into chopped chocolate, let the chocolate melt, then mix. The creamy chocolate mixture is chilled, rolled into balls and then rolled again in cocoa powder, nuts, cookies, coconut, etc. To make a vegan ganache use coconut milk instead of cream.
What makes truffles so irresistible is their creaminess and intense chocolate flavor. If you are looking for a non-traditional and super decadent chocolate truffle recipe, check out the tahini truffles from our cookbook Tahini and Turmeric, (page 234). You will not be disappointed.
How Did We Lighten Up Our Dark Chocolate Truffles?
First, we selected 4 simple ingredients
- Chocolate chips - at least 60% cocoa. You may also use chopped chocolate.
- Fat-Free Greek yogurt - we swap the traditional ganache made with heavy cream normally used when making chocolate truffles, with Greek yogurt to lighten up the recipe and reduce the calories. We used plain Greek yogurt, but you may use vanilla Greek yogurt if you like your truffles sweeter. Just take into consideration that the calories will change. Are you vegan? Use a dairy-free Greek style yogurt. We like this one.
- Peanut Butter or almond butter - to add creaminess to the truffles, and because we love combining chocolate and nut butters!
- Cocoa powder - to coat the truffles. You may also coat them with nuts, coconut, and even sesame seeds
Begin by melting the chocolate and pouring it with into a bowl with the Greek yogurt and nut butter.
Whisk all the ingredients really well and refrigerate until firm.
Using a 2 teaspoon ice cream scoop, form the truffles into balls and roll them in unsweetened cocoa powder
We came up with this skinny chocolate truffle recipe in February 2013, to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of our blog. It became one of our most shared and popular recipes in our blog. So much so, that a so called weight loss celebrity "borrowed" the recipe without permission and put it on her site. Thanks to social media pressure applied by our loyal followers, she gave us credit for the recipe. You can read all about HERE.
More Chocolate Desserts
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Bark with Pistachios and Tahini
- Chocolate Truffles Vegan
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Tart
- Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Donuts
- Chocolate Cupcakes Vegan
- Chocolate Chia Pudding Date Sweetened
- Chocolate Covered Hazelnuts Salted and Roasted
- Chocolate Tart with Raspberries Vegan
- Tahini Stuffed Dates Dipped in Chocolate
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
Did you like these chocolate truffles ?
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
Make a batch of these dreamy, creamy skinny chocolate truffles. They will become your go-to 55 calorie guilt free treat. Trust us, try them and you will thank us later.
- ½ cup good quality chocolate chips (at least 60 % cocoa)
- 1 tbsp all natural almond butter, peanut butter or any other nut butter
- ¼ cup fat free Greek yogurt or dairy free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave (at 20 second intervals) or on a double boiler
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the Greek Yogurt and nut butter. Pour the melted chocolate and mix well. Refrigerate until it starts to harden
- Working with approximately 2 tsp tablespoon at a time (we used a small ice cream scoop), form truffles, roll them in unsweetened cocoa powder and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 truffle
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 2.6
- Fat: 3.6
- Saturated Fat: 1.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4.5
- Fiber: .8
- Protein: 1.3
- Cholesterol: 0.6
Keywords: chocolate truffles, low calorie treats , low calorie chocolate dessert