Delicious vegan cake donuts that combine the bright sweetness of Meyer lemons with juicy blueberries without the oil of traditional fried donuts
What are Meyer Lemons?
Meyer lemons are the sweet cousin of regular lemons. Meyer Lemons are a cross between lemons and mandarin oranges. They are sweeter, less tart and have a thinner skin and a wonderfully subtle floral aroma.
You can find the seasonal Meyer lemon from November through late Spring so make a point of trying this delicious fruit available at farmer’s markets, Trader Joe’s, and most large health food stores before summer arrives. Note: Do handle the fruit carefully as its rind is soft and delicate and may easily rupture.
Are Meyer lemons a staple in your cooking? If not, they should be!
Their honey-sweet flavor and floral citrusy scent are divine. We mean close your eyes and savor the moment, divine. So, of course, we are adding them to everything we can these days. In honor of Mother’s Day, we created this quick and easy vegan recipe for heavenly Meyer Lemon-Blueberry Cake Donuts.
Easy to Make Cake Donuts
Light and satisfying, our Meyer Lemon-Blueberry Cake Donuts are made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with maple syrup. Meyer lemon juice and its beautiful canary-yellow zest give the batter a citrusy perfume that is bright and sweet.
Some tips to make these super easy lemon blueberry cake donuts:
- Make sure to generously spray the donut pan before adding the batter.
- For an easy, mess-free way to fill the pan, transfer the batter to a resealable bag, cut a hole in one of the corners and pipe it into the donut pan.
- Do not mix the blueberries into the batter. Place them on top of each donut, once the batter is in the donut pan. It will make it easier to pipe.
- Make sure the donuts have cooled completely before removing them from the mold, to prevent them from falling apart.
- Run a knife through the edges of the donut, gently turn the pan around and tap the mold until the donuts are released.
If you like your donuts on the sweeter side, you may want to try glazing some of the donuts with a mixture of Meyer lemon juice and powdered sugar or a simple dusting of plain powdered sugar. Our cake donuts will make a perfect Mother's Day Brunch when paired with a pot of freshly brewed coffee and our Apple & Pumpkin Bourekas, Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust, and Mint Citrus Salad
A Note About Cake Donut Pans
Today you can find donut pans in a variety of sizes and materials including non-stick steel and silicon. The one we use is made by Wilson.
Other Blueberry Recipes You Will Love
- Blueberry Raspberry Bars (Vegan and gluten-free)
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Frozen Blueberry Lemonade
- Lemon Blueberry Cake (Gluten-free )
- Coconut Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Crumble
- Blueberry Muffing Protein Grits
- Blueberry Corn Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Matcha Waffles
- Vegan Peach Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Lime Frozen Margarita
- Paleo Blueberry Crisp
Did you like these Meyer lemon blueberry cake donuts ? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
Delicious vegan cake donuts that combine the bright sweetness of Meyer lemons with juicy blueberries without the oil of traditional fried donuts.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT FOR US. THANK YOU!!
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, lukewarm
- 1 tbsp ground flax.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, lukewarm
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a donut pan with nonstick spray
- Whisk together the nondairy milk and ground flax in a small bowl. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice and flax mixture. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined (do not overmix)
- Spoon or pipe in the batter into the donut pan. Place a few blueberries on each donut, pressing them down gently, and bake for 15-17 minutes. Let them cool completely before removing them from the pan
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 9.3
- Sodium: 36
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25.4
- Fiber: 2.8
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0