Not your everyday vegetable stew! Our Moroccan-inspired spice blend adds a punch of flavor to this super comforting veggie-filled dish. Warm-up this winter or anytime with our flavorful comforting mouth-satisfying Stew.
Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Spices are a great way to enhance any dish, from savory to sweet. We love to experiment with them and create our own blends!
For this vegetable stew, we used a combination of some of our favorite spices; cinnamon, turmeric, ground ginger, cumin, coriander, and allspice.
We combine the spices with tomato paste. Then we let the mix cook for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients, for a rich broth that is deep in flavor.
You can use your favorite vegetables or whichever ones you have on hand. Just remember that the cooking time will vary, depending on which vegetables you're using.
Serve this stew over rice, couscous, or quinoa for a complete, satisfying meal on a cold weekday night.
Time-saving tip: Prepare the spice mix and wash, peel and cut the vegetables up to two days ahead
Tips on how to make an awesome vegetable stew
- Pick your preferred flavor profile:
- Pick your favorite vegetables. Cut longer cooking vegetables in smaller pieces and quick-cooking veggies in larger pieces
- Bring out the natural sweetness of the vegetables by adding butternut squash, pumpkin or sweet potatoes
- Top the vegetable stew with some crunch to contrast the vegetable's soft texture. Pick nuts, seeds,dried fruit, homemade pita croutons or savory granola.
- 7 Hearty Vegetarian Stews
- Vegetarian French Onion Soup
- Fennel and Chickpea Stew
- Lentil Soap
- Moroccan Harira Soup
- Ratatouille A Classic French Dish
- Fresh Cranberry Beans Stew
- 3 Bean & Sweet Potato Stew
- Braised Vegetable Stew with Ginger Lemongrass
Did you like our vegetable stew?
Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Your comments inspire us to keep creating recipes! Did you love the recipe? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest and Instagram!Print
Not your everyday vegetable stew ! Our Moroccan inspired spice blend adds a punch of flavor to this super comforting veggie filled dish
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 24oz frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 yellow squash, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 large parsnip, chopped
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, unpeeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2-15.5oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed - Not Sephardic? Just leave the chickpeas out!
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Optional toppings: dried cranberries, raisins, toasted almonds, pistachios, apricots, dates. cilantro, Harissa
- Combine the cinnamon, turmeric, salt, ground ginger, cumin, coriander and allspice in a small bowl an mix well
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the spice mix and garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly, until it forms a paste. Add the tomato paste and 2 tablespoons of water and continue cooking for 2 more minutes
- Add the vegetables, chickpeas and broth and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes
- Serve over couscous, rice or quinoa and add the desired toppings
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan / Moroccan
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 9.5
- Sodium: 358
- Fat: 6.4
- Saturated Fat: 0.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 29.2
- Fiber: 11.8
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegetables, stew, vegan, gluten free, Moroccan, spices