Super creamy light cauliflower soup delicately flavored with saffron with a nice tangy contrast from the sumac oil. Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian & Kosher
Ok, time to talk about New Year's resolutions. I know, it's January 13th and that might be a little late. A lot of people might have given up on them already. But for those of you who haven't yet, I have a question: how many of you made the resolution to change the way you eat? You know, 21-day vegan challenge? Master cleanse? Sugar detox? Just eating healthier in general?
I would bet anything though, that the number one diet-related New Year's resolution that people have made this year, is "going Paleo". I'm sure most of you are familiar with the term by now. But in case you're not sure what the whole Paleo concept is about, it's pretty simple. It's basically going back to the way our ancestors (aka, the cavemen) used to eat: no grains, legumes or dairy (although some people do consume small amounts of full fat, organic dairy), and plenty of local, organic fruits and vegetables, grass-fed, antibiotic-free meats, fish, nuts, seeds and fats.
That's it, in a nutshell
Whether we agree with the concept or not, is not really important. The fact is, a lot of people have decided to adopt that lifestyle, which means, they need ideas! Especially if they're looking for vegetarian and, even more challenging, vegan recipes.
This creamy saffron soup with sumac oil is one of our favorites that we hope you'll enjoy. More to come 🙂
What is sumac?
It is a tangy lemony tasting spice red spice made from grinding the berries of the non-poisonous sumac plant. Sumac is becoming very popular with chefs and home cooks in the US. It can be used to flavor salads like our Fattoush Salad, to bring sweet potato fries to the next level, to dust cauliflower steaks,
Super creamy cauliflower soup delicately flavored with saffron with a nice tangy contrast from the sumac oil.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs frozen or fresh cauliflower florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 20 saffron threads
For the Sumac Oil
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp sumac
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Sautée onion and garlic in olive oil on a soup pot, over medium heat, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes
- Add 5 cups of water, bring to a boil and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add saffron, stir and cover. Let the saffron steep for about 20 minutes.
- Blend soup in a blender until creamy.
- Serve hot or warm with a drizzle of sumac oil (recipe follows).
For the Sumac Oil
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: Paleo , Vegan & Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 70
- Fat: 3.8
- Protein: 2.6
- Cholesterol: 0