A savory and delicious low-carb dinner, our Cauliflower Rice Recipe with Veggie Sausage Peppers and Onions will please everyone at the table, and you won't even have to tell them that is a healthy meal!
If you crave the savory spiced sausage flavor, you will love this vegan version of cauliflower rice and sausage -- it has so much flavor built right in! Serve this one-dish meal for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for our Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You can also use avocado oil.
- Onions and garlic. Classic flavor builders. Use any onions you have on hand yellow onion, white onion, purple onion, or sweet onion. Use fresh garlic for best results. Use a garlic press or a Microplane to mince it or grate it.
- Red Bell Pepper. Peppers add a delicious sweetness to this dish
- Paprika. Adds both color and flavor.
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
- Frozen Peas. I love adding frozen peas to the cauliflower rice recipe right to the skillet near the end of the cooking process because they only need to cook until heated through.
- Italian Veggie Sausages. Find the different brands in most supermarkets in the refrigerated section near the tofu and other vegetarian meat substitutes.
- Cauliflower Rice. We used frozen cauliflower rice in this recipe to save time, but you can easily make your own. Check out how to make cauliflower rice
- Scallions. Slice up the green parts of the scallion starting about one inch from the top and add it to the skillet towards the end of the cooking process.
- Chopped Toasted Almond. For garnish. This is optional.
- Fresh Parsley. For garnish. This is optional.
How to Make the Cauliflower Rice Recipe
In your largest skillet, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions and garlic on medium heat until the onions are translucent. This takes four to five minutes and must be stirred frequently to avoid burning. Next, add the diced red peppers, paprika, salt, and black pepper and continue to saute for fifteen to twenty minutes until the peppers are soft.
Add the peas, veggie sausage, cauliflower rice, and scallions and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the parsley and toasted almonds. Stir well. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Variations on the Riced Cauliflower Recipe
I recommend keeping the onions, garlic, and sausage as constants in the recipe and then playing with the other ingredients to find combinations you love. Change up the recipe by changing up the vegetables. Make this recipe with sliced zucchini, sliced yellow squash, carrot slices, diced parsnips or turnips, yellow or green peppers, or even apples. Apples, onions, and sausage is a great combination!
Make it an Asian cauliflower fried rice recipe using traditional Asian vegetable combinations such as chopped cabbage, peppers, onions, or ginger with the sauce of your choice and an egg added. I think Cauliflower Fried Rice has even more flavor than the dish has when made with traditional rice!
What is riced cauliflower?
Cauliflower florets are run through a food processor or box grater to make rice-sized pieces which are then cooked to resemble rice and used as a low-carb substitute.
Is Cauliflower Rice Recipe with Veggie Sausage Peppers and Onions Gluten-Free?
Maybe. In this case, it depends on the sausage that you choose. To make sure the dish is gluten-free you will need to check the label on the veggie sausage.
Can I freeze this Cauliflower Rice Recipe?
Yes. After cooking the dish, cool it completely and place it in an airtight container. I recommend freezing individual servings. Thaw and reheat the rice dish in your microwave or skillet.
How do I store Leftover Cauliflower Rice with Sausage?
You can keep this recipe in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container and reheat it in the microwave. Cauliflower starts to smell a little off after more than 3 days in the fridge. If you are not planning on eating this cauliflower rice recipe within 2-3 days, freeze it.
Can I make the cauliflower rice recipe ahead of time?
You definitely can make the rice itself ahead of time in bulk and freeze portions for use in future recipes. Check our post on how to make cauliflower rice. When you are ready to eat this meal, thaw the rice and cook it according to our recipe instructions below. You can also cook the whole recipe 2-3 days ahead.
Recipes to Make with Riced Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- Cauliflower Meatless Meatballs
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Cheesy Cauliflower Fritters
- Cauliflower Veggie Burger
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe? Do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
A savory and delicious low-carb dinner, our Cauliflower Rice Recipe with Veggie Sausage Peppers and Onions will please everyone at the table, and you won't even have to tell them that is a healthy meal! A low-carb high protein cauliflower recipe!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 Italian veggie sausages, diced
- 12 ounces frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped toasted almond
- ¼ chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until translucent, stirring often.
- Add the diced red peppers, paprika, salt and black pepper and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until the peppers are soft (if the peppers look like they're starting to burn, add 2-3 tablespoons of water at a time until they're cooked)
- Add the peas, veggie sausage, cauliflower rice, and scallions and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add the parsley and toasted almonds. Stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 5.7
- Sodium: 415.1
- Fat: 16.5
- Saturated Fat: 2.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15.7
- Fiber: 5.4
- Protein: 10.2
- Cholesterol: 0