When you want rice, but don't want the carbs that come with a plateful of the real stuff, all you have to do is learn How to Make Cauliflower Rice. The texture is perfectly similar, the flavor is actually delicious and the nutritional value is far superior especially if you are counting those carbs.
Cauliflower Rice has taken the world by storm in the last few years because, in spite of its start as a carb substitute, it really is just that good. I love how the vegetable is able to take on so many different flavors and textures, making it a great rice substitute OR a great meat substitute and is so incredibly tasty made in a variety of different ways.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Making cauliflower rice is quite simple. You will need a food processor to get the right texture and a skillet for cooking the perfect faux rice dish. While many people just make straight-up cauliflower, our recipe is superior because of the added onions, garlic, herbs, and nuts adding flavor and texture.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Rice
- Large Head of Cauliflower. Two small ones will also work, you will need about 2 ½ pounds total.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The main difference between the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and any other olive oil variety is that EVOO will add significantly more flavor to your cooked dishes, salads and dressings.
- Medium Onion. I prefer a sweet onion or yellow onion for this to keep the flavors mild.
- Garlic Cloves. Freshly minced garlic is far superior to jarred garlic or dried minced garlic. A garlic press comes in very handy for this task.
- Chopped Parsley. Fresh parsley adds flavor and moisture.
- Sea Salt.
- Ground Black Pepper. I like coarsely ground black pepper, but you can get a variable size pepper grinder have freshly ground pepper whenever you want. It has so much more flavor!
- Pine Nuts. These little nuts have such a distinct taste and they're even better sligthly toasted! Plus they add great texture to this dish.
- Chopped Raw Almonds. With or without skin is fine. If you only have toasted almonds, do not toast them again with the pine nuts in the skillet.
Step-By-Step Instructions for How to Cook Cauliflower Rice
- First, get the head of cauliflower thoroughly washed and break it up into small pieces called florets. Trim off any dark spots.
- Pulse the cauliflower in your food processor bowl in short bursts until you get it the consistency and size of rice. You may have to do this a little bit at a time. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a grater.
- Once you have the cauliflower broken down to the right size, it's time to remove excess moisture. This helps keep it from getting mushy in the cooking process. Use a tea towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- In a heated skillet, toast the pine nuts and almonds. Remove the nuts from the skillet, and cook the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the cauliflower, part of the parsley, salt, and pepper, and cook this for about twelve minutes. Make sure not to turn it into mush.
- Off the heat, add the remaining parsley and the nuts and stir.
Can I keep cauliflower rice frozen?
Yes. After cooking the rice, you can freeze it for up to three months in an airtight container or freezer-quality plastic bag. Reheat it in the skillet or microwave carefully so that it doesn't turn into mush.
To freeze uncooked cauliflower rice. If you don't plan on using the cauliflower rice within 1-2 days, freeze it in individual freezer bags. Place about 2 cups of cauliflower rice per bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can also microwave the cauliflower rice for 4-5 minutes to partially cook it before freezing it.
How many calories in Cauliflower Rice?
One cup of cooked cauliflower rice is about 25 calories.
How do I store leftover cauliflower rice?
Cooked it will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
How much rice will one head of cauliflower make?
2.5 pounds of cauliflower will yield about eight cups of cauliflower rice.
More Recipes to Make with Cauliflower
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Cauliflower Quinoa Meatless Meatballs with Turmeric Sauce
- Passover Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cheese Cauliflower Fritters
- Cauliflower Bowl with Harissa Roasted Chickpeas
How To Make Cauliflower Rice
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Diet: Vegan
When you want rice, but don't want the carbs that come with a plateful of the real stuff, learn How to Make Cauliflower Rice.
- 1 large head of cauliflower or 2 small ones (about 2 ½ pounds total weight)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped raw almonds (with or without the skin)
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and separate it into florets. Wash well (See note #1)
- Place half the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with the "S" blade and pulse until it's cut into small pieces resembling grains of rice. Transfer it to a bowl and repeat the process with the rest of the cauliflower (Alternatively, you can use a box grater and grate the cauliflower on the largest of the circular grating holes)
- Place the cauliflower rice on a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth bag, ring it and squeeze as much liquid as possible. It's possible that no moisture will come out, that will depend on the cauliflower, as moisture levels vary.
- The cauliflower rice is now ready to use. It can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. See Note 4 for details.
Instruction to prepare a quick cauliflower rice recipe
- Place the pine nuts and almonds in a large skillet (if you only have toasted almonds in hand, only add the pine nuts to the skillet). Heat on low until the pine nuts start to turn a golden color, about 3-4 minutes. Watch them carefully since they can burn easily. Set the nuts aside
- Using the same large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent
- Add 4 cups of cauliflower rice (freeze the rest for later use), ¾ cup of the parsley (reserve ¼ cup), salt, and pepper, and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked, but not mushy
- Turn off the stove and add the remaining ¼ cup of parsley, pine nuts, and almonds. Serve warm
- See note #2 for more cauliflower rice recipes
- If you wish you can peel the bottom stem and add it to the florets
- We are only using 4 cups of cauliflower rice in this recipe, freeze the rest for later use.
- Cauliflower rice can be used to make:
- Cauliflower quinoa meatballs in coconut turmeric sauce
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Pizza ( coming soon)
- Cauliflower with peppers onions and veggie sausage ( Coming soon)
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Freezing Instructions: If you don't plan on using the cauliflower rice within 1-2 days, freeze it in individual freezer bags. Place about 2 cups of cauliflower rice per bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can also microwave the cauliflower rice for 4-5 minutes to partially cook it before freezing it.
- 2 ½ pounds of fresh cauliflower yields about 8 cups of cauliflower rice.
- 1 cup cauliflower rice (uncooked) is 25 calories
- Cooked cauliflower rice stays fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup cooked recipe
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 333
- Fat: 12.5
- Saturated Fat: 1.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 4.4
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: cauliflower rice, kosher, gluten-free, low calorie
Leave a Reply