When you want rice, but don't want the carbs that come with a plateful of the real stuff, learn How to Make Cauliflower Rice.
- 1 large head of cauliflower or 2 small ones (about 2 1/2 pounds total weight)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds (with or without the skin)
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and separate it into florets. Wash well (See note #1)
- Place half the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with the "S" blade and pulse until it's cut into small pieces resembling grains of rice. Transfer it to a bowl and repeat the process with the rest of the cauliflower (Alternatively, you can use a box grater and grate the cauliflower on the largest of the circular grating holes)
- Place the cauliflower rice on a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth bag, ring it and squeeze as much liquid as possible. It's possible that no moisture will come out, that will depend on the cauliflower, as moisture levels vary.
- The cauliflower rice is now ready to use. It can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. See Note 4 for details.
Instruction to prepare a quick cauliflower rice recipe
- Place the pine nuts and almonds in a large skillet (if you only have toasted almonds in hand, only add the pine nuts to the skillet). Heat on low until the pine nuts start to turn a golden color, about 3-4 minutes. Watch them carefully since they can burn easily. Set the nuts aside
- Using the same large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent
- Add 4 cups of cauliflower rice (freeze the rest for later use), 3/4 cup of the parsley (reserve 1/4 cup), salt, and pepper, and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked, but not mushy
- Turn off the stove and add the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley, pine nuts, and almonds. Serve warm
- See note #2 for more cauliflower rice recipes
- If you wish you can peel the bottom stem and add it to the florets
- We are only using 4 cups of cauliflower rice in this recipe, freeze the rest for later use.
- Cauliflower rice can be used to make:
- Cauliflower quinoa meatballs in coconut turmeric sauce
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Pizza ( coming soon)
- Cauliflower with peppers onions and veggie sausage ( Coming soon)
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Freezing Instructions: If you don't plan on using the cauliflower rice within 1-2 days, freeze it in individual freezer bags. Place about 2 cups of cauliflower rice per bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can also microwave the cauliflower rice for 4-5 minutes to partially cook it before freezing it.
- 2 1/2 pounds of fresh cauliflower yields about 8 cups of cauliflower rice.
- 1 cup cauliflower rice (uncooked) is 25 calories
- Cooked cauliflower rice stays fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup cooked recipe
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 333
- Fat: 12.5
- Saturated Fat: 1.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 4.4
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: cauliflower rice, kosher, gluten-free, low calorie