Root vegetables, spices, chickpeas, and lentils come together beautifully in this Moroccan-inspired Harira soup, a nutritious and filling, and one-pot meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
Harira is a warm and comforting tomato-based soup that we absolutely adore! We've created our own vegan version of the popular dish, adding extra veggies and a hint of heat, just to spice it up a little bit! It’s a lightened-up version that’s still plenty filling thanks to lentils and chickpeas. We included all the fresh herbs and bright spices that Harira is known for! Serve it by itself or with warm bread for a dish that always has us going back for seconds.
What is Moroccan Harira?
Harira Soup is a Moroccan soup filled with lentils, chickpeas, warm spices, and fresh herbs. It’s traditionally made with meat (beef or lamb) and has a tomato base. It’s a favorite of ours year-round! It’s one of those recipes that makes excellent leftovers, so we love having it on hand for lunch.
Harira Soup Ingredients
We added TONS of delicious veggies into this dish, so it’s bursting with color and texture! You’ll find it’s plenty hearty even without the meat. It also has the best spices, so it’s a bit spicy and filled with flavor. Our recipe has parsnips, celery, carrots, chickpeas, lentils, and tomatoes for the veggies, and it’s flavored with cilantro, garlic, turmeric, cumin, and coriander.
How to Make Harira
This is a really easy one-pot meal that comes together faster than you think. Start by cooking the garlic and cilantro, then the heavier root veggies that take longer (carrot, parsnip, and celery). After a few minutes, you’ll add water, bring it to a boil, and add lentils and chickpeas. These need about 25 minutes to become perfectly tender before being joined by tomatoes and the remaining spices. See? Easy!
What to Serve with Harira Soup
Since it’s filled with veggies and lentils, and chickpeas this vegan soup is also a meal that can stand on its own. We especially love it as a filling lunch! You could also serve it with a pita or a thick, crusty slice of bread.
What Makes this Vegan Soup Great?
- It's a one-pot meal
- It's a hearty soup that can be served as a satisfying lunch or light dinner
- We loaded the soup with healthy root vegetables, chickpeas, and lentils
- The delicious warming spices add a pop flavor
- It's low calorie, yet filling
- It is absolutely delicious
- It is customizable, add your favorite veggies to suit your taste
Other Moroccan Recipes
- The Best Moroccan Carrot Salad
- Moroccan Vegetable Stew
- Moroccan Cinnamon Cookies
- Moroccan Harissa Raw Carrot Salad
- Sweet and Savory Moroccan Couscous
- Quick Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas
- Moroccan Lentil Soup
Did you like this Harira soup recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
Root vegetables, spices, chickpeas and lentils come together beautifully in this Moroccan inspired Harira soup, a nutritious and filling and one pot meal. Vegan and gluten free.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium-size bunch cilantro, thoroughly washed and chopped (about ½ cup, chopped)
- 2 large parsnips, diced (about 2 cups, diced)
- 1 medium celery root, diced (about 2 cups, diced), you can sub for regular celery, 2 turnips or one medium rutabaga
- 3 large carrots, sliced (about 2 cups, diced
- 8 cups water
- 1- 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry green, brown or red lentils, rinsed
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-28oz can tomato puree
- ½ tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and cilantro and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the diced parsnips, celery root and carrots, and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the water, bring to a boil and add the lentils, chickpeas and salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using). Bring to a quick boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for another 15-20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 446
- Fat: 3.6
- Saturated Fat: .5
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: harira, Moroccan, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, soup, spices