Root vegetables, spices, chickpeas and lentils come together beautifully in this Moroccan inspired Harira soup, a nutritious and filling and one-pot meal. Vegan and gluten free.
I love one-pot meals. They’re easy, they’re quick to prepare and they’re usually large enough to last you several days.
And for me, the ultimate one-pot meal, is soup. You can literally throw anything in and make it super hearty, filling and balanced. And it’s a great way to get your daily serving of veggies, too!
The traditional Harira soup is typically made with beef or lamb, and doesn’t include many vegetables. We’ve created our own vegan version, adding some extra veggies and a hint of heat, just to spice it up a little bit.
WHY SHOULD YOU TRY THIS VEGETARIAN HARIRA SOUP RECIPE?
- It’s a one-pot meal
- It’s a hearty soup that can be served as a satisfying lunch or light dinner
- We loaded the soup with healthy root vegetables, chickpeas and lentils
- The delicious warming spices add a pop flavor
- It’s low calorie, yet filling
- It is absolutely delicious
- It is customizable, add your favorite veggies to suit your taste
Check out these other Moroccan recipes:
- Moroccan Carrot Salad
- Moroccan Vegetable Stew
- Moroccan Cinnamon Cookies
- Moroccan Harissa Raw Carrot Salad
- Sweet and Savory Moroccan Couscous
Did you like this Harira soup recipe? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!
Root vegetables, spices, chickpeas and lentils come together beautifully in this Moroccan inspired Harira soup, a nutritious and filling and one pot meal. Vegan and gluten free.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium-size bunch cilantro, thoroughly washed and chopped (about 1/2 cup, chopped)
- 2 large parsnips, diced (about 2 cups, diced)
- 1 medium celery root, diced (about 2 cups, diced), you can sub for regular celery, 2 turnips or one medium rutabaga
- 3 large carrots, sliced (about 2 cups, diced
- 8 cups water
- 1– 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry green, brown or red lentils, rinsed
- 1–28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1–28oz can tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and cilantro and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the diced parsnips, celery root and carrots, and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the water, bring to a boil and add the lentils, chickpeas and salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using). Bring to a quick boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for another 15-20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 446
- Fat: 3.6
- Saturated Fat: .5
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0