Have you ever tried Moroccan food? If you haven’t, you don’t know what you’re missing. It is AWESOME. The spices, the complex flavors, the heartiness… YUM!!!
A couple of nights ago, I got this huge craving for it . I wanted a steaming bowl of Moroccan couscous so badly I could taste it. But… I was tired and didn’t feel like making anything.
I wasn’t gonna give up, so what did I do? I reached out to my sister, of course… And after just a little bit of begging on my part, she offered to make it for me.
She didn’t have all the ingredients she needed so she couldn’t exactly make the “authentic” recipe. But there is one thing you should know about my sister: she is the best at making up new stuff. So she came up with her own version. Equally yummy, equally satisfying. Just perfect.
I once read a quote that said: “In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips”. How true…
Cooking and preparation time: 30-35 minutes
Serves about 6
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- 2 large Spanish onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- ¼ cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine couscous with some salt and pepper to taste. Add boiling water cover it and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions with 3 tbsp. olive oil until golden brown. Set aside
- In the same skillet, add sliced almonds and cook them for a couple of minutes, add raisins, prunes to and cook at low to medium heat until the fruit starts to soften and the almonds start to get some color. Add cooked onions and salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine drained chick peas with spices and 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Using the same skillet, cook the chick peas for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange couscous on an oval serving dish with dried fruit and onions around it and chick peas in the middle.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds
- ENJOY from May I Have That Recipe