3 Bean & Sweet Potato Chili, a complete meal in one bowl, garbanzo, black and kidney beans in a flavorful sweet potato chili. Ready in less than an hour.
A couple of nights ago I had a pretty frightening nightmare: I was back in high school. And no, it wasn’t the typical I-realized-people-were-staring-at-me-cause-I-was-naked kind of nightmare. Even worse than that. I dreamed I was back studying for finals. History, Chemistry, Geometry… All of it! Just when I thought I had left it all behind me and would never have to deal with it again.
I woke up drenched in sweat, my heart racing. Then I realized it was just a dream. Took a deep breath and got out of bed. But then it hit me again: it wasn’t a dream!
My high school days might be long gone, but my son’s, are just beginning. And with them, come the dreaded finals. Which means I have no choice but to help him get through them.
My son is an incredibly smart, bright kid. He does, however, get distracted easily, especially if when he’s starving after a very long school day. Which is completely understandable, but makes studying that much harder.
Just like every growing young man, his appetite is totally insatiable. The kid can eat. And eat. And eat. And still be hungry. And not gain an ounce! So for dinner, I always try to prepare meals that I know he will like, and are filling and super nutritious.
Like this one!
Vegan 3 Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
A complete meal in one bowl. A vegan sweet potato chili with garbanzo, black and kidney beans. And to make it even better, I topped it with some fresh cilantro and sliced avocado. This kid-approved, nutrition-packed dish was a total hit and was ready in less than an hour! And it might not guarantee an A on the finals… but it will for sure keep my son’s belly full, long enough to keep him focused 😉
3 Bean & Sweet Potato Chili, a complete meal in one bowl, garbanzo, black and kidney beans in a flavorful sweet potato chili. Ready in less that an hour.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–8 oz pack babybella mushrooms (or any mushroom of your choice)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper or hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1–15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1–15 oz can kidney beans
- 1–15 oz can black beans
- 1–15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup organic frozen corn kernels
- Optional toppings:
- 1–2 Hass avocados
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil In a large, deep skillet. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- Add mushroom, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander and Aleppo pepper and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes
- Add garbanzo, kidney and black beans, tomatoes and salt. Bring a to a gentle boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and corn. Cook covered until sweet potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes
- Top with sliced avocado and cilantro before serving
Calories are calculated without the avocado
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 770
- Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Fiber: 14
- Protein: 14
- Cholesterol: 0