This Tofu Fries With Avocado Crema comforting and delicious… without the guilt!
Tofu fries are a great option when you want to add more protein to a meal. We made ours by dusting the tofu with garbanzo bean flour and spices to give it a kick of flavor, before pan frying them to perfection. Of course, fries of any kind would be incomplete if they didn’t have a dip or sauce to accompany them! That’s why this recipe has two parts.
Our accompaniment of choice is an avocado crema. Lovers of avocado will find this decadent dip rewarding. Made with lemon and non-dairy coconut milk yogurt, it was created to complement the flavor of the garbanzo beans and spices. The healthy fats add as much to the dish as the smooth texture and subtle flavor.
Abandon traditional, unhealthy fries for these at your next meal or gathering.Print
- 16 oz extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 4 tbsp grape seed oil
- For the avocado crema
- 1 Hass Avocado
- 2–3 tbsp unsweetened coconut yogurt or ( you can also use plain Greek yogurt)
- 1–2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Cut tofu in about 24 long strips. Line baking sheet with paper towels
- In a medium bowl, combine garbanzo bean flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and sweet paprika
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet
- Dip each tofu strip in the flour mixture until well coated and shake out excess flour. Place them on the hot oil and cook over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to lined baking sheet, so the paper towels absorb the excess oil
- To prepare the avocado crema
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and gently remove the flesh from the skin
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until smooth. Whisk in yogurt, lemon juice and salt and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve