Do you ever think to yourself “Darn, I’m good…”
No? Well, you should. We all need a little pat on the back every now and then, especially from our own hand. I’ll admit I don’t give myself enough of those, but hey, I’m working on it! My latest one though happened just a few days ago.
As I was about to put these beauties in the oven, one of our friends walked in the kitchen, looked over the muffin tray and asked “What is that??”. “You know, just something we’re testing” I replied. “Vegan savory corn muffins”. “Oh” He said. And walked away, visibly disappointed.
20 minutes later, he walked in again… “Smells so good in here, what is that you’re making, popcorn?”. “Nooo…. Vegan corn muffins!”. “Oh, really? Smells amazing!”
Insert self pat on the back…. Because a comment like that coming from a 6’7″ , 260 pound, bacon lover, former special ops officer, who puts down about 4,000 calories a day, definitely deserves it.
Here we are, with our little dairy free, cholesterol free, vegan corn muffins, pretty much making this tough guy drool. Not bad, uh?
The thing is, people have preconceived ideas of what things should be. A lot of people still associate the word “vegan” with tasteless and unappetizing. A shame really, because we, as well as many other food bloggers and chefs, have proven that’s not true at all, time and time again!!
It’s all about using the right ingredients a little creativity. So thank you, GO VEGGIE for giving us a hand again!
These savory muffins are filled with vegan Mozzarella Shreds for some cheesy goodness. And the Chive & Garlic Vegan Cream Cheese Alternative makes them rich and moist, without adding any dairy or cholesterol.
Served fresh out of the oven, they are a fun and delicious alternative to dinner rolls, that everyone will love. And perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk, lukewarm
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup GO VEGGIE Vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese Alternative
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or any other neutral flavor oil)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup GO VEGGIE Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners and coat them with cooking spray
- Combine ground flax and non dairy milk in a bowl. Mix well and set aside
- Combine corn meal, flour, salt, baking powder, rosemary and thyme in a bowl and set aside
- Using an electric mixer, whip together cream cheese and oil for about 2 minutes until creamy. Add maple syrup and milk/flax combination and continue mixing for 1 more minute
- Reduce speed and slowly add corn meal mixture. Continue mixing until just incorporated, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Fold in vegan Shreds
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the liners with muffin batter. Bake at 400F for 20 to 22 minutes. Serve warm