This super delicious Vegetarian French Onion Soup is rich, decadent, comforting it is all you need to be warm and cozy during this winter. We replaced the traditional beef broth with a rich mushroom broth which made this Vegetarian French Onion soup simply irresistible.
Now that we have finally gotten deeper into heavy winter weather ( thank you winter storm Jonas!), we wanted to warm you up with a delicious soup recipe. If you’re like us, you probably love the warm, comforting taste of a hot bowl of soup when it’s chilly outside. I know that the colder it gets, the more I crave something warm and flavorful!
There’s something special that only a steaming bowl of soup can offer when snow is falling outside. As much as I love tomato-based and vegetable soups, I’m not always in the mood for them. They’re of course great, but after we have had weeks of winter, I usually have exhausted my collection of favorite cold
weather comfort food recipes, and there are only so many ways to approach vegetable or tomato soups in their traditional forms.
As I was thinking about new soup ideas, my cousin Adriana came to mind. Growing up in Barcelona, our cousins were practically the only family we had, and they became more like siblings to us than anything else. Adriana is our youngest cousin and even has a child had the most spunky, witty personality. Being around her always meant a guaranteed laugh and there was never a dull moment with her. Luckily for us, she now lives in New York City, and we always look forward to her visits.
As a child, Adrianna LOVED French onion soup, and always ordered it when we were out if it was available. She also despises the cold weather, so you can see where our inspiration came from!
Now as you probably know, French Onion soup is traditionally made with a beef broth or beef stock base. With that as a key ingredient, most recipes put this soup out of the running for us. However, we were determined to create a vegetarian alternative that would be just as savory and delightful as the original inspiration.
What people often look for in French Onion Soup is richness. We believe we’ve mastered that with this recipe, and the inclusion of cheese allows us to stay close to the roots of this dish. We chose Sincerely Brigitte’s Tarragon Ginger cheese to make it super rich, creamy and, just like our dear cousin, a little spicy. Combining all of the ingredients should provide you with a deep, full flavor that is perfect for keeping you and your family warm on the freezing days which are still on their way!
Hope you enjoy it!Print
This super delicious Vegetarian French Onion Soup is rich, decadent, comforting it is all you need to be warm and cozy during this winter.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and continue cooking for about 50 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add mushroom broth, Worcestershire sauce, wine and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste your soup and adjust salt and pepper and sugar if necessary ( remember the the cheese will add saltiness to it)
- While the soup is cooking place cheese in the freezer for 20 minutes (so it’s easier to shred). Shred cheese and set aside in the fridge
- Slice baguette in 1/2 inch rounds and toast until crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 4-6 oven proof bowls on the baking sheet and ladle soup into the bowls. Add 3 tbsp shredded cheese to each bowl, mix well
- Gently place one or two pieces of bread on top of soup and cover bread with 1/4 cup of cheese per bowl
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, keeping an eye so the bread doesn’t burn. Serve immediately
The soup base can be made ahead of time, add bread and cheese and bake just before serving.