This super delicious Vegetarian French Onion Soup is rich, decadent, comforting it is all you need to be warm and cozy during this winter. We replaced the traditional beef broth with a rich mushroom broth which made this Vegetarian French Onion soup simply irresistible.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and continue cooking for about 50 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add mushroom broth, Worcestershire sauce, wine and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste your soup and adjust salt and pepper and sugar if necessary ( remember the the cheese will add saltiness to it)
- While the soup is cooking place cheese in the freezer for 20 minutes (so it's easier to shred). Shred cheese and set aside in the fridge
- Slice baguette in 1/2 inch rounds and toast until crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 4-6 oven proof bowls on the baking sheet and ladle soup into the bowls. Add 3 tbsp shredded cheese to each bowl, mix well
- Gently place one or two pieces of bread on top of soup and cover bread with 1/4 cup of cheese per bowl
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, keeping an eye so the bread doesn't burn. Serve immediately
The soup base can be made ahead of time, add bread and cheese and bake just before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: French Vegetarian