This super delicious Vegetarian French Onion Soup is rich, decadent, comforting it is all you need to be warm and cozy during this winter.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and continue cooking for about 50 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add mushroom broth, Worcestershire sauce, wine and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste your soup and adjust salt and pepper and sugar if necessary ( remember the the cheese will add saltiness to it)
- While the soup is cooking place cheese in the freezer for 20 minutes (so it’s easier to shred). Shred cheese and set aside in the fridge
- Slice baguette in 1/2 inch rounds and toast until crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 4-6 oven proof bowls on the baking sheet and ladle soup into the bowls. Add 3 tbsp shredded cheese to each bowl, mix well
- Gently place one or two pieces of bread on top of soup and cover bread with 1/4 cup of cheese per bowl
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, keeping an eye so the bread doesn’t burn. Serve immediately
The soup base can be made ahead of time, add bread and cheese and bake just before serving.