I can’t believe it’s been 6 months since May I have that recipe was created and we posted our very first recipe. Since then, we’ve been slowly growing, we’ve won a couple of contests and most importantly, we’ve been having a lot of fun. We are truly blessed to be able to do something we really love and are passionate about.
Today we wanted to share again one of the first recipes we posted: our Middle Eastern Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Not only because it’s one of our favorites, but also because it’s something that brings back great childhood memories. And since we will be leaving for Spain next week, we thought it would the perfect recipe to bring back.
So here it is. Our Middle Eastern Style Grilled Cheese posting from February 6th, 2012.
“… What would a comfort food day be without a grilled cheese sandwich? Like a strip mall without a Starbucks. Like Paula Deen without butter. Like “Jersey Shore” without a bar fight. Like, like…well, you get what I’m saying…
And if we’re gonna talk grilled cheese, around here we can’t do it without mentioning The Pop Shop.
The Pop Shop is this really neat restaurant in Collingswood, NJ, just a few miles from where we live. It’s fun, and cozy and family friendly… but one of the best things about this place? You guessed it: their grilled cheese sandwiches. All 31 of them. THIRTY ONE! I mean really, how cool is that? So cool, that even Bobby Flay (yes, THE Bobby Flay) stopped by for a grilled cheese throw down. I’m not kidding. Does it get any better than that?? I don’t think so.
Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m jealous.
But even with 31 varieties, I think they might be missing one. Ours, of course. Our middle eastern take, if you will. Super simple. And super awesome, too.
I know, I know, grilled cheese is ALWAYS awesome, no matter how you make it (uh, bread, butter and gooey melted cheese… yeah!!). But trust me on this one. Using pita bread brings crunchiness to a different level. And awesomeness. Like a gooey, crunchy bite of perfection.
Hmm… I’m thinking maybe I should give the Pop Shop a call. Suggest they add #32 to the menu. And maybe ask for Bobby’s number while we’re at it ;)”
- 1 pita pocket
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese*
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese*
- 1 tsp zatar**
- ½ tbsp butter or non-hydrogenated vegetable spread
- Carefully, open up the pita pocket and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese, making sure it doesn’t get too close to the edges.
- Add feta cheese on top and sprinkle with zatar
- Melt butter on a skillet at medium low heat. Place sandwich and cook until golden brown, for about a minute or two.
- Turn the sandwich over and let it cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- ENJOY!! From May I have that recipe
* For a vegan option, you can substitute non-dairy cheese for regular cheese.
**Zatar is a Middle Easter herb mixture that can be found in specialty stores. If you can’t find it, try using oregano, thyme or Italian seasoning.
- Category: Sandwich