As most of you know, April is National Grilled Cheese Month. We're more than half way through the month and, as you've probably noticed, we haven't posted a grilled cheese recipe yet. Not one. Can you believe it! One of the most delicious, decadent, sure-to-please-everyone comfort foods ever invented, and we dropped the ball. Shame on us!!
But don't worry, we're pretty sure we've found a way to make up for it
How you may ask? Well, of course, by creating an awesome recipe that will knock your socks off, if we may say so ourselves.
And here's how we injected some awesomeness into this recipe:
1) By making it super cheesy, gooey and decadent, but keeping it vegan. The secret? A combination of not one, not two, but three delicious "cheeseless cheeses" from GO Veggie! ": Vegan Pepper Jack Slices for a little kick, Vegan Mozzarella Shreds to make it extra gooey and Vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese Alternative for a touch of creaminess. The advantage? You get all the melty, stretchy, yummy goodness with less saturated fat, no cholesterol, dairy or lactose. All plant based and rich in calcium! Plus, they're gluten free so use you don't have to miss out! Just use your favorite gluten free bread (and gluten free beer) and you're all set!
2) Beer. Yes, beer! Remember how when you were a kid you used to dunk your grilled cheese in hot, creamy tomato soup? Well, here's the "adultified" (not a real word, we know) version of that classic combo. We made a beer and onion gravy that, combined with all the cheesiness, is out of this world. Oh and don't worry about the alcohol. The gravy is cooked long enough that it's pretty much gone by the time it's done!
3) By toasting the bread before assembling the sandwich. Super simple step, but gives it that extra awesome crunch that most of us love!
So what do you think? Have we redeem ourselves?? 😉
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium size onions, grated
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tbsp herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt ( or to taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable or "no chicken" broth
- 12oz light beer (SEE NOTE)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- n a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add grated onions, brown sugar, herbes de Provence, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper. cook at medium heat for 7-8 minutes
- Add broth and beer. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes
- Remove from heat. Strain sauce using a small mesh colander and return strained sauce to heat
- In a small bowl, dissolve corn starch in 2 tablespoons of water. Pour into sauce, stirring constantly. Bring to a quick boil, reduce heat and cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens
Make sure to use a light beer here to prevent the gravy from getting bitter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp GO Veggie! Vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese Alternative
- 1 tsp grain mustard
- 2 slices GO Veggie! Pepper Jack Vegan Slices
- ½ Granny Smith apple, sliced as thin as possible
- 4 tbsp GO Veggie! Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- Vegan non hydrogenated buttery spread (to taste)
- In a large non stick skillet, heat olive oil. Add sliced onions and cook over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring often until caramelized. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and mustard and mix well. Stir in cooked onion and continue mixing until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread cream cheese mixture on one side of each slice. Add one slice of pepper jack cheese on each side. Top one of the slices of bread with 2 tablespoons of shreds, arrange 2-4 slices of apple on top, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of shreds. Top with the other slice of bread to form a sandwich
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium-low heat. Very gently, spread non hydrogenated vegetable spread on one side of the sandwich. Very carefully, transfer it to the skillet, spread side down. Gently spread more vegetable spread on the top side of the sandwich
- Cover loosely with a lid or a plate and cook 4 minutes per side, being very careful while flipping it over
- Serve immediately with a side of onion and beer dipping sauce
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
This post was sponsored by GO Veggie!. Please help support the brands that support May I Have That Recipe? All opinions are our own.