The warm toasty comfort of a grilled cheese sandwich with onions and mushrooms is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a chilly night when you need a hot meal on the table fast.
Crunchy bread, creamy goat cheese, nutty gouda, wild mushrooms, and crispy apple. Add a touch of grain mustard, and there you have it. Perfection in every bite.
The beautiful thing about this grilled cheese sandwich is that it can stand as its own as a meal or it can pair beautifully as an equal partner with soup or salad for a more substantial meal. You have flexibility here.
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese with Mushrooms and Onions
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Onion. A sweet onion is particularly lovely on this sandwich, but yellow or white onions will also work well.
- White or Baby Bella Mushrooms. These mushrooms are firm enough to hold up well on a sandwich without sacrificing flavor.
- Garlic Powder.
- Ground Black Pepper. I like to use freshly cracked with a little pepper grinder. Its a nice touch.
- Apple. This is the secret ingredient that adds just the right touch of sweetness to the recipe. You might not think it fits, but it rocks the sandwich.
- Grain Mustard. This is mustard that is prepared with visible mustard seeds and a coarse texture. Grey Poupon and Maille are two popular choices.
- Butter or Vegan Butter. Some vegan butter tastes more like the fat it is made from -- like coconut oil. Some vegan butters try to mimic the flavor of butter with various flavorings. Just be aware of which you want from the butter you purchase.
- Multigrain Sandwich Bread. A good multigrain adds so much flavor an crunch to your sandwich.
- Gouda Cheese. Vegan cheese will work too.
How to Make the Perfect Grilled Cheese
Always start with a hot skillet. Heat your olive oil for a few minutes over medium heat and then saute your onions for about four minutes. Make sure to stir frequently to prevent one section from burning.
Add the mushrooms and season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are caramelized, which takes about eight minutes. When the mushrooms are almost finished, put your bread in the toaster to toast it slightly.
Spread butter on one side of the bread and mustard on the other side, then put the bread butter side down in the skillet. Layer cheese, the mushroom and onion mixture, sliced apple, and another slice of cheese on top. Finish off with the second slice of bread, butter side up.
Cook each side of the sandwich for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are heated through.
Are grilled cheese sandwiches actually grilled?
In a manner of speaking yes. Grilled cheese is usually cooked on a skillet, but the fat is added to the bread and not to the skillet. So the sandwiches aren't "fried" in a pool of fat. The effect is similar to a restaurant "grill" which is a flat, hot cooking surface. But, an outdoor grill is not used to make grilled cheese sandwiches as the name might imply.
What goes with grilled cheese?
You can serve this tasty sandwich with any dish your heart desires. It is simple enough to not interfere with a salad, and delicious enough to be the perfect complement to a bowl of hot soup. You can also add chips, fries, coleslaw, or any traditional salad accompaniment.
What is the best cheese for grilled cheese?
Gouda is the cheese of choice in this recipe. So many amazing varieties of grilled cheese exist. And each one could be made with different cheese choices. You can even use a combination of two or more cheeses on your sandwich! The key is to match cheese flavor and saltiness to the other ingredients in your sandwich.
How long to cook grilled cheese?
4-5 minutes per side on medium heat works perfectly for this recipe. The answer varies though depending on the ingredients you choose. A different grilled cheese might take more or less time. When the cheese melts and the bread is toasty but not burned, your sandwich is ready.
Do you butter both sides of bread for grilled cheese?
No. It depends on the recipe, but for our recipe, we suggest butter on the side of the bread facing out and mustard on the side of the bread facing in.
More Awesome Grilled Cheese ChoicesPrint
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 ounces of white or Baby Bella mushrooms, cut in half and sliced. About 4-5 large mushrooms
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 apple, sliced very thin
- 2 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- 4 slices of multigrain sandwich bread
- 4 ounces of gouda cheese, sliced or shredded. You may use vegan cheese here
- In a large non-stick or cast iron pan heat the olive oil. Add onions and cook on medium-low for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms. Season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and cook about 8 minutes or until the mushrooms and brown and caramelized.
- Slightly toast the bread slices
- Spread mustard on one side of the bread and butter on the other side.
- Place two slices of bread butter side down on the pan. Place one slice of cheese top of each slice of bread, top with mushroom and onion mixture, sliced apple and place another slice of cheese on top.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top butter side up.
- Cook the grilled cheese 4-5 minutes per side on medium heat until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately