Once the days get longer and the temperatures rise we get really excited about meals that can be made outside! Mini Sweet Peppers with Grilled Halloumi Cheese topped with Homemade Pesto is one of our favorites.
We paired the mini sweet peppers with grilled halloumi cheese, pesto, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for the perfect summertime dish. It’s an easy vegetarian appetizer that’s just right for summer entertaining!
What is Halloumi?
Originally from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, Halloumi is a firm, brined, mozzarella look-a-like white cheese that’s traditionally made from sheep and goat milk. It works so well for grilling since it has a really high melting point, which allows it to toast on the outside and melt slightly on the inside. Unlike regular cheeses, it's perfect for grilling and won’t turn into a gooey mess when heated! Halloumi cheese can be found in most grocery stores in the specialty cheese section.
What Are Mini Sweet Peppers?
These delicious mini sweet peppers are actually miniature bell peppers! They’re a bit sweeter than full-size peppers and usually come in colorful packs. You can eat them raw, but we love how they taste perfectly cooked on the grill! This grilled sweet peppers recipe is a tasty appetizer, snack, or side dish.
How to Grill Mini Peppers
We tossed our mini sweet peppers in oil, oregano, thyme, and sumac before popping them on the grill. We have a grilling basket that we love! This prevents smaller, thinner items from falling between the grates but they still get that nice char and deep flavor that comes with grilling. If you don’t have a grilling basket you can create your own by wrapping your veggies in tinfoil and poking holes in the bottom of the pack. They only need about 5 minutes on each side to be perfectly done.
Softening Baby Bell Peppers
If you like a little bit of crunch, we suggest eating the peppers as soon as they come off the grill! For a softer roasted bell pepper, place the peppers in a glass bowl and cover them with plastic wrap. This traps some of the heat in and steams them a bit so they soften.
We hope you enjoy this delicious and easy summer appetizer! This is a bright, fresh, and light dish that we’ll be making again and again as we enjoy the warm season.
Storing the Grilled Peppers and Halloumi
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat before eating or add roasted peppers and cheese to a frittata, salad, wrap, sandwich or pasta.
What to Server with Grilled Halloumi and Charred Bell Peppers
Halloumi cheese and grilled bell peppers can be served with our Roasted Olives, Tomato Avocado Chickpea Salad, a nice cold Corn Soup with Basil and Pine Nuts, and our simple and summery Pan con Tomate instead of the baguette.
More Vegetarian Appetizers
- Crispy Garlic Basil White Pizza
- Vegan Nut and Spinach Spread
- Roasted Beet Hummus
- 3-Ingredient Tostones
- Tofu Fries with Avocado Crema
- Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- Buffalo Eggplant Fries
- Dates Stuffed Brie, Pomegranates, and Pistachios
- Za'atar Eggplant Fries
Mini Sweet Peppers With Grilled Halloumi Cheese
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
This easy vegetarian appetizer of Mini Sweet Peppers, Grilled Halloumi and Homemade Pesto on crusty bread is just right for entertaining!
- 2 lbs sweet mini peppers
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼-½ cup of store-bought or homemade pesto
- 12 oz Halloumi cheese, cut into 2 oz slices
- 1 lemon
- 1 baguette or crusty country bread
- Place the peppers in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, oregano, sumac, thyme and salt and mix well until they're well coated with the oil and seasoning
- Heat the grill on high. Place peppers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes with the lid closed (we used a grill pan to keep the peppers from falling through the racks)
- Turn the peppers, reduce the heat to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Remove the peppers from the grill and place them in a glass bowl. The peppers will be slightly crisp. If you want softer peppers, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the pepper soften in the bowl for 10-15 minutes
- Grill the Halloumi cheese over medium-low heat on a grill pan (or regular skillet) on the stove, or on your outdoor grill. Grill a couple of minutes per side or until slightly browned on the outside and soft on the inside
- Serve on a board or platter with pesto sauce, toasted baguette, or crackers. Squeeze some lemon for an extra burst of flavor
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: appetizer
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: ⅙ of the recipe
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 5.8
- Sodium: 897
- Fat: 25.2
- Saturated Fat: 11.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10.6
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 13.7
- Cholesterol: 41.5
Leave a Reply