This vegan sandwich recipe feeds your craving for an amazing meatless sandwich meal. I designed a really tasty vegetarian sandwich idea that is great for both vegans and vegetarians. You won't even miss the real thing once you taste this meatless version with all the flavors of Mediterranean cooking.
Why You Will Love this Vegan Sandwich
This Mediterranean sandwich will convert any meat eater to our non meat version. We decided to create the ultimate Mediterranean vegan sandwich recipe for non-meat eaters inspired by the famous Philly cheesesteak.
Because we like to create new flavors, we added a Middle Eastern twist to this veggie sandwich so it ended up not really a Vegan Philly cheesesteak at all, but a new and amazing creation all in it's own class.
Ingredients for a Vegan Mediterranean Sandwich
- Seitan: is an imitation meat made out of wheat protein, basically vital wheat gluten. We chose to use seitan to replace the steak for its meat-like texture.
- Shawarma spices: we seasoned the seitan with our popular Homemade Shawarma Spice Mix
- Veggies: we used onions, peppers, and mushrooms for extra flavor
- Tahini Sauce: we used tahini sauce instead of the traditional cheese sauce or cheese slices for a touch of creaminess and tanginess. Now that's one delicious vegan sandwich!
- Garlic and Salt. For additional spice and flavor we added one garlic clove and salt to taste.
- Aleppo Pepper. Red pepper flakes will work. Adjust to taste depending on how much heat you want.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Turns out this is the perfect marinade. You'll also need a little for cooking.
- Red Wine Vinegar. Also used for the marinade to provide an acid.
- Mini Hoagie Rolls. Pick your favorite small sandwich rolls!
What is Seitan?
If you are looking for a great vegan meat alternative for your vegetarian sandwiches, you should try seitan. It is made by washing a wheat-flour based dough with water until all that remains is an elastic mass of pure gluten.
The texture is suprisingly similar to meat and very satisfying. Depending on where you shop, you may also find it under one of these names: miànjīn, fu, milgogi, wheat meat, gluten meat, vital wheat gluten or simply gluten. If you've ever had "mock duck" it is made with seitan!
Variations and Substitutions
Not a big fan of seitan or can't have gluten? Try using high protein extra firm tofu instead. Just make sure you squeeze as much water out of it as possible to ensure the proper texture for your vegan sandwich. You can also freeze the tofu, let it thaw, squeeze as much water as possible and it's ready to use. This method gives the tofu a different texture. Whichever meat substitute you select, you will love this recipe.
You could make variations of this sandwich using different sauces or a vegan mayo. Change it up with different flavor profiles as well! The basic idea would work well to create a variety of sandwiches your family loves.
How to Make our Mediterranean Sandwich Recipe with Seitan Protein
Vegan sandwich making does not have to be complicated at all. First, marinate the seitan and veggies with the spices, olive oil and vinegar. The easiest way to do this is put it all down into a plastic zipper baggy. I like to use the freezer-quality bags so that it can handle the weight of the ingredients without leaking.
Once the sandwich ingredients have marinaded, sauté it all in a hot skillet until the veggies are ready and the seitan is browning. Mix up the homemade tahini sauce while the sandwich ingredients are cooking and serve your veggie sandwich on a hoagie bun or similar small sandwich roll.
Tips for a Perfect Vegan Sandwich
Marinate the seitan and veggies for at least one hour. For best results, marinate for overnight. Marinating the protein gives it a more meat-like flavor.
Cut your seitan into strips, slices, or whatever will work best for the size and shape of your rolls. Smaller pieces will heat more evenly and quickly.
What to Serve With This Vegan Sandwich
Make it a complete meal when you pair our veggie sandwich with a side salad, fruit salad, beet chips, or raw veggie tray. Hummus with raw veggies is especially good. Diced cucumbers are a fresh and complementary flavor. Crunchy toasted chickpeas would be lovely as well.
Other Vegan Sandwiches to Make for Lunch or Dinner
Did you like our Vegan Sandwich?
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
This vegan sandwich recipe is a great meatless meal and our take on the Philly cheese steak original. A really tasty vegetarian dinner idea.
- 8-10 oz seitan, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 pack baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp shawarma spice mix
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes ( use more or less to taste).
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (for marinating)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- 6 mini hoagie rolls (or any other small rolls )
- Tahini Sauce
- Combine seitan, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms in a bowl or a zip storage bag. Add garlic, shawarma spice mix, and salt. Mix well so the spices coat the seitan, then add 2 tsp of olive oil and vinegar. Cover and place in the fridge for one hour or overnight.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add marinated seitan and vegetables (including liquid) and cook over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, prepare the tahini sauce
- Fill each pita with about ⅓ cup of cooked seitan and top with a tablespoon of tahini sauce
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eatern
Keywords: veggie sandwich, vegan dinner, vegan meal, kosher,