This vegan sandwich recipe is a great meatless meal and our take on the classic Philly cheese steak. A really tasty vegetarian dinner idea that is great for both vegans and vegetarians. You won't miss the real thing once you taste this meatless version.
Philadelphia is well known for a number of things: The Liberty Bell, The Art Museum (the front steps anyway!), LOVE Park ... And when it comes to food, definitely the Philly cheese steak. Now vegans and vegetarians can enjoy this meatless meal version of the original. This most flavorful vegan steak sandwich will convert any meat eater to our non meat version.
Since we live so close to Philadelphia, we are very familiar with the concept of the Philly cheesesteak sandwich, so we decided to create the ultimate Mediterranean vegan sandwich recipe for non meat eaters inspired by the famous Philly cheesesteak. And because we like to create new flavors we added a middle eastern twist to this meatless dinner.
Ingredients for a Vegan Steak Sandwich
- Seitan: is an imitation meat made out of wheat protein, basically vital wheat gluten. We chose to use seitan to replace the steak for its meat-like texture.
- Shawarma spices: we seasoned the seitan with our popular Homemade Shawarma Spice Mix
- Veggies: we used onions, peppers, and mushrooms for extra flavor
- Tahini Sauce: and tahini sauce instead of the traditional cheese sauce or cheese slices for a touch of creaminess and tanginess. Now that's one delicious vegan sandwich!
Alternative Meatless Option
Not a big fan of seitan or can't have gluten? Try using high protein extra firm tofu instead. Just make sure you squeeze as much water out of it as possible to insure the proper texture for your vegan sandwich. Whichever meat substitute you select, you will love this recipe.
Did you like our Vegan Sandwich?
If you enjoyed this recipe. It would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
This vegan sandwich recipe is a great meatless meal and our take on the Philly cheese steak original. A really tasty vegetarian dinner idea.
- 8-10 oz seitan, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 pack baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp shawarma spice mix
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (for marinating)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- 6 mini hoagie rolls (or any other small rolls )
- Tahini Sauce
- Combine seitan, red pepper, onion and mushrooms in a bowl. Add garlic, shawarma spice mix and salt Mix well so the spices coat the seitan, then add 2 tsp of olive oil and vinegar. Cover and place in fridge for one hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non stick skillet. Add marinated seitan and vegetables (including liquid) and cook over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, prepare the tahini sauce
- Fill each hoagie with about ⅓ cup of cooked seitan and top with1 tablespoon of tahini sauce
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eatern
Keywords: veggie sandwich, vegan dinner, vegan meal, kosher,