This Tempeh Black Bean Veggie Burger recipe can be made vegan or vegetarian, and it works beautifully both ways. It’s filling, nutritious and high in protein (18 grams per burger).
Every summer we try to come up with a new veggie burger recipe. Even though we eat veggie burgers all year long, summer seems to be the time to create veggie burgers, because non-meat eaters deserve a tasty meal when going to barbecues and summer gatherings!
Why we love this black bean burger recipe
All you need is a handful of ingredients, and it’s easy to prepare! No complicated process, no food processor. All you need is one bowl and a baking sheet.
This black bean burger recipe can be made vegan or vegetarian, and it works beautifully both ways. It’s filling, nutritious and high in protein (18 grams per burger) thanks to the tempeh and the black beans.
What’s in our tempeh black bean burger recipe?
- Canned black beans: They provide protein, fiber, and great texture. Mashing the by hand before mixing in the rest of the ingredients will give this veggie burger a better texture.
- Tempeh: A great source of protein, and also texture!
- Scallions: For that extra punch of flavor
- Cheese: Dairy or vegan, to hold it all together and to provide richness
- Egg or flax egg: To hold the veggie burger ingredients together
- Seasonings: To provide flavor. Be sure to use the hamburger or grilling seasoning. It gives this veggie burger a great “grilled” kind of flavor!
This vegan Tempeh and Black Bean Veggie burger is made with organic 3-grain tempeh and black beans. Quick, easy and ready in less than an hour.
- 1–8oz package tempeh
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp grilling or hamburger seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg or one flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed in 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or water)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 medium scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet aluminum foil and spray it generously with cooking spray.
- Combine ground flax seeds and almond milk or water in a small bowl. Set aside
- Crumble tempeh in a large bowl. Add Paprika, hamburger seasoning, salt and black pepper and toss gently
- Add black beans, scallions, cheese and flax mixture and using your hands, mash it all together until all the ingredients are well combined ( you can also use a food processor, but we prefer doing it by hand for more firm, less “mushy” texture)
- Divide the mixture in 4 pieces and shape each one into patties, about an inch thick
- Brush both sides of each patty with olive oil and carefully transfer them to the baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes then broil for 5-7 minutes, watching them carefully so they don’t burn
- Serve on a bun with your favorite fixings… We love these with Home Made Hummus, Roasted Tomatillo Salsa or Romesco Sauce!
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE EXTRA BURGERS AND FREEZE THEM WE RECOMMEND FREEZING THEM ALREADY COOKED.
- Serving Size: 1 burger - no bun
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 550
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 0