This Tempeh Black Bean Burger recipe can be made vegan or vegetarian, and it works beautifully both ways. It’s filling, nutritious and high in protein (18 grams per burger).
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed in 3 tbsp of water) or 1 egg, beaten
- 1–8oz package tempeh
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp grilling or hamburger seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 2 medium scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan or dairy cheese
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it generously with cooking spray
- Combine the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl or beat one egg. Set aside
- Crumble the tempeh in a large bowl. Add the paprika, seasoning, salt and black pepper and toss gently.
- In a separate bowl, mash the black beans slightly, using you hands. See Note 2
- Add the mashed black beans, scallions, cheese and flax mixture (or egg) to the crumbled tempeh, and using your hands, mix it all the ingredients together until well combined ( make sure all the ingredients are well mashed, so the burger holds together)
- Divide the mixture in 4 pieces and shape each one into patties, about an inch thick
- Brush both sides of each patty with olive oil and carefully transfer them to the baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes then broil for about 2 minutes per side, watching them carefully so they don’t burn
- Serve on a bun with your favorite fixings… We love these with Home Made Hummus, Roasted Tomatillo Salsa or Romesco Sauce!
- IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE EXTRA BURGERS AND FREEZE THEM, WE RECOMMEND FREEZING THEM ALREADY COOKED.
- Mash the black bean burger ingredients by hand instead of using a food processor for a better burger texture. The food processor will make the veggir burgers too mushy
- Serving Size: 1 burger - no bun
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 550
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 0