Creative interpretation of a Lobster roll recipe, veganized! Spicy and bursting with flavor and super quick and easy to make
Vegan Lobster Roll
My 9 year old is absolutely obsessed with bacon. And I’m sure most people would think that’s totally normal, except… my son has never had real bacon. Tempeh and soy based, yes. But real, animal sourced bacon, never.
So I’m not quite sure who to blame for this obsession. TV commercials, Guy Fiery, and his Triple D show… It doesn’t matter really. As long as I have an alternative that makes him happy, it’s all good. After all, he’s never had “the real thing” so, in my opinion, he’s not really missing out on anything.
That’s an argument I have with my non-vegetarian friends all the time. Whenever we talk food, they often bring up all the things I’m missing out on because of my dietary restrictions. Particularly when it comes to two things: bacon (which, honestly, I don’t think I would eat even if I could!) and shellfish (lobster being one of the main things).
And I always have to “defend” myself using the same argument: can you really miss something you’ve never had???
In my opinion, no, you cannot.
So if you find an equally delicious and satisfying “alternative” that follows your dietary guidelines, why not go for it! As long as you’re enjoying it, who cares!
Perfect example, right here: a vegan “lobster” roll. Is it lobster? No. Does it taste like lobster? We have no idea. Kinda looks like it, but we highly doubt it. What we do know, however, is that it is DELICIOUS! Creamy, buttery, salty and messy. And the recipe?? Super EASY. Works for me!!
Hope it works for you too 😉
Vegan lobster roll: Creative interpretation of a Lobster roll recipe, veganized! Spicy and bursting with flavor and super quick and easy to make
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 3 large hearts of palm
- 3 tbsp vegan sriracha sandwich spread (such as Hampton Creek Simply Mayo ) or plain vegan sandwich spread (such as Earth Balance MindfulMayo ) and sriracha to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/2 tbsp capers, well drained (or to taste)
- 2 whole wheat hot dog rolls
- Combine sweet paprika and Old Bay on a medium side plate
- Roll each heart of palm on the spice mix until completely coated
- Cut each heart of palm into 1/2 inch pieces (you’ll get about 5 pieces per heart) set aside
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together vegan mayo, lemon juice, dill and capers. Add hearts of palm and mix gently
- Fill each roll with the mixture right before serving
- You can change the paprika/Old Bay ratio depending on how spicy you want it!
- Serving Size: 1 vegan lobster roll
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 3.7
- Sodium: 677
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 5,2
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 0