This post was originally published June 2015 and has been updated on June 24, 2020. Our version of a lobster roll, veganized! Spicy, bursting with flavor and super quick and easy to make.
When my son was 9 years old, he was totally obsessed with bacon. And I'm sure most people would think that's totally normal, except... my son has never had real bacon in his life. Tempeh and soy-based, yes. But real, animal-sourced bacon, never.
So I'm not quite sure who to blame for this obsession. TV commercials, Guy Fiery and his Triple D show, YouTube... It doesn't matter, really. As long as I have an alternative that makes him happy, it's all good. After all, he's never had "the real thing" so, in my opinion, he's not really missing out on anything.
That's an argument I have with my non-vegetarian friends all the time. Whenever we talk about food, they often bring up all the things I'm missing out on because of my dietary restrictions. Particularly when it comes to two things: bacon (which, honestly, I don't think I would eat even if I could!) and shellfish (lobster being one of the main things).
And I always have to "defend" myself using the same argument: can you really miss something you've never had???
In my opinion, no, you cannot.
So if you find an equally delicious and satisfying alternative that follows your dietary guidelines, why not go for it?! As long as you're enjoying it, who cares!
Perfect example, right here: a vegan "lobster" roll. Is it lobster? No. Does it taste like lobster? We have no idea. Kinda looks like it, but I highly doubt it. What I do know, however, is that it is DELICIOUS! Creamy, buttery, salty and messy. And the recipe?? Super EASY. Works for me!!
Hope it works for you, too 😉
How to Make a Vegan Lobster Roll
Choose large hearts of palm, preferably from a jar instead of a can. They tend to be larger and more tender
Roll the hearts of palm into Old bay Seasoning and sweet paprika (scroll down to the recipe for amounts)
Slice the spiced hearts of palm
Make the mayo-based sauce.
Add the spiced hearts of palm (AKA vegan lobster)
Mix gently to combine
Other Summer Recipe You May Enjoy
- Grillable Veggie Burger
- Feta Watermelon Salad
- Raspberry Lemonade
- Pesto Sauce
- Authentic Spanish Gazpacho
- Pan con Tomate
Did you like our vegan lobster roll recipe ? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
Our version of a lobster roll, veganized! Spicy, bursting with flavor and super quick and easy to make.
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning (See Note 1)
- 3 large hearts of palm
- 3 tbsp plain vegan mayo
- Sriracha to taste (depending on how spicy you like it), we used 1 teaspoon.
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/2 tbsp capers, well drained (or to taste)
- 2 whole wheat hot dog buns
- Combine the sweet paprika and Old Bay on a medium side plate
- Roll each heart of palm on the spice mix until completely coated
- Cut each heart of palm into 1/2 inch pieces (you'll get about 5 pieces per heart) and set aside
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, sriracha, lemon juice, dill and capers. Add the hearts of palm and mix gently
- Fill each roll with the mixture right before serving
- You can change the paprika/Old Bay ratio depending on how spicy you want it!
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 vegan lobster roll
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 3.7
- Sodium: 677
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 5,2
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 0