A good healthy salad is a perfect lunch. Light, refreshing, good for you, cold, and delicious, broccoli salad is going to become your go-to recipe. And, this dish travels well if you need something to take to the office or potlucks. No more wilted lettuce for lunch!
I love the unique, fresh taste of this salad. Bites of crunchy broccoli with spiced chickpeas in a homemade raspberry vinaigrette all hang in perfect balance. Who needs mayo dressing when you can have a salad like this? If you've been looking for a no mayo broccoli salad, that doesn't simply replace the mayo for plain Greek yogurt this one is it.
What's in Broccoli Salad?
An American classic broccoli salad recipe typically includes broccoli florets, mayonnaise, bacon, nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans, raisins or cranberries, red onions, and sometimes cheddar cheese and fresh lemon juice. We like to shake things around and make an otherwise not-so-healthy salad recipe into a healthier, more interesting dish. Just a way of giving classic recipes a makeover so it stands out from the crowd.
This is not your typical recipe with dried cranberries, almonds, and a creamy dressing. Ours is more savory and definitely better for you with a light vinaigrette dressing and a more Mediterranean approach.
Ingredients for Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli. We used frozen broccoli that had been thawed. You can also use fresh broccoli.
- Spiced Chickpeas. These are so easy to make! Click the link for a recipe.
- Sundried Tomatoes in olive oil. They come in a jar and are found near the olives in the supermarket aisle.
- Kalamata Olives. Buy pitted olives and halve them for the recipe.
- Crumbled Feta Cheese. Buy a block of feta and crumble it yourself. You could also use goat cheese.
For the Homemade Broccoli Salad Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. High-quality oil is essential when you are making your own dressing. The flavor difference is palpable.
- Red Wine Vinegar. I love the nuance red wine vinegar adds, but you can substitute this with a different flavored vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar if you wish. I don't recommend white vinegar since it is more intense.
- Raspberry Preserves. Adds sweetness and flavor.
- Seasoning. Dijon Mustard, Dry Oregano, Salt, and Black Pepper.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
Make your spiced chickpeas first. Then mix all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Chop the broccoli florets if they are too bigWhisk together the dressing in a separate bowl. Toss the dressing with the salad and serve.
Tips for Making the Best Broccoli Salad
- You can add nuts or savory granola for additional crunch. Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds would also work.
- Make the spiced chickpeas the day before and chill all of the ingredients so that salad is nice and cold when it is ready to serve.
- Give your broccoli, a spin in the salad spinner if it feels too wet to add to the salad. f
- If you are using fresh broccoli remember that broccoli stems are very tasty! Slice them thin and keep them in your salad.
How to Store Our Easy Broccoli Salad
Keep leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days. Shake up the container or stir the bowl well before eating. You can keep the dressing separately in an airtight jar for two weeks, and add it to the salad as needed which will allow all of the ingredients to last longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make a broccoli salad with frozen broccoli?
Yes. Simply thaw the broccoli first and then make your salad.
How long does Broccoli Salad last?
If refrigerated properly, it will keep for up to 3 days.
Should I blanch the broccoli?
It's up to you. We prefer to use frozen broccoli thawed for this salad because it is already blanched and is therefore crunchy but a little less crisp than raw. You can certainly use raw unblanched broccoli if you like. You can also blanch raw broccoli for three minutes in boiling water if you want the texture of blanched broccoli but don't have any frozen.
How do I blanch broccoli?
Fill a stock pot with hot water and bring it to a boil. Drop your raw broccoli into the water and let it boil for three to five minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking. Drain the broccoli and chill it before making a salad.
Do you have to cook the broccoli for broccoli salad?
No. It is made with frozen broccoli or raw broccoli. If you are referring to blanching, see our previous notes on how to blanch the broccoli. You can try roasting the broccoli, but it will be a different salad.
What to serve with broccoli salad?
Is broccoli salad sugar-free?
No. Most dressings for broccoli salad include some amount of sugar.
More Healthy Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Feta Watermelon Salad
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- 5-Ingredient Artichoke Salad
- Tabouli salad
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
We've given the Classic Broccoli Salad a Mediterranean makeover to make it healthier and popping with flavor. And you can make it vegan too!
- 4 cups frozen Broccoli, thawed ( See note 1)
- Spiced Chickpeas (click for the recipe)
- ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- ¾ cup Feta cheese, crumbled ( see note 1) or vegan feta
For the Broccoli Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp raspberry preserves
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Mix all the salad ingredients together
- In a bowl whisk the dressing ingredients until smooth, alternatively, place all the ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake it until combined.
- Pour dressing on the salad, toss and serve
- We prefer to use Frozen Broccoli for this salad because it's blanched and we like it better that way. Still crunchy, but not raw. You can use raw broccoli if you like it better. May sure you thaw the broccoli before making the salad.
- You can add nuts or savory granola for additional crunch
- Crumbled Feta Cheese. Buy a block of feta and crumble it yourself. You could also use goat cheese or vegan feta.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 716.1 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 14.3 mg
Keywords: Salad, Broccoli Salad,