This recipe for vegan smashed chickpea salad was dreamed up as an alternative for tuna salad,
a lunch staple pretty much all year long.
With back to school and Labor Day BBQ season rapidly approaching, we wanted something versatile to serve that would still be vegan. One of the things people love about tuna and chicken salads
is the way they can be served in a bowl or on a sandwich. Either way, they are delicious and
perfect for days when you don’t want to work over a hot oven or grill. Whether you need
something portable for an outdoor event or something you can pack in a lunch for the kids, this chickpea salad is a great vegan alternative that everyone will love. It can easily go into a sandwich to be sent off to school, to eat outside at a BBQ, or to put into any other lunch plan.
We often use GO Veggie! vegan cream cheese alternative when making dressings or sauces, because it adds a silky, creamy texture without adding any dairy. And since it's a great substitute for mayonnaise, you'll get all the richness and flavor without any of the cholesterol and less saturated fat.
For this recipes, we combined GO Veggie! vegan cream cheese with mustard and lemon juice to create a super flavorful and creamy binder for our salad. The smashed chickpeas give it a great texture and the chopped veggies add freshness and a nice crunch. Vegan and gluten free, this heart healthy recipe is perfect for anyone with food allergies or special diets. Use your favorite gluten free bread, or just grab a fork and eat it right out of the bowl!
Either way, we love this new chickpea salad and hope you do, too!
Vegan Chickpea Salad - Mock Tuna - You will not miss the tuna with this vegan, vegetarian, no mayo mock "tuna" salad made with chickpeas and veggies
- 1-15oz can organic chickpeas, drained
- 2 medium carrots diced small (yields about 1 cup)
- 3 celery stalks, diced small (yields about ½ cup)
- ½ cups fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
- For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp GO Veggie! Garlic & Chive Vegan Cream Cheese Alternative
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tbsp brown mustard
- Pulse chickpeas in the food processor a few times until they just start to break down
- Add diced carrots, celery and cilantro and pulse a few more times until all the ingredients are incorporated
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside
- To prepare the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Add to chickpea mixture and mix well. Add pumpkin seeds (if using) and refrigerate until ready to use
- Enjoy it on a sandwich, with crackers or on a bed of lettuce
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan