This vegan sandwich recipe feeds your craving for a protein-rich meatless sandwich. This is a tasty veggie sandwich filled with comforting Mediterranean flavors.
- 8-10 oz seitan, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 pack baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp shawarma spice mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes ( use more or less to taste).
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (for marinating)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 mini hoagie rolls, hamburger rolls, pita, or pocketless pita
- 6 large pickles, sliced (optional)
- Tahini Sauce
- Homemade Hummus
- Fresh Parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Combine seitan, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms in a bowl or a zip storage bag. Add garlic, shawarma spice mix, and salt. Mix well so the spices coat the seitan, then add 2 tsp of olive oil and vinegar. Cover and place in the fridge for one hour or overnight.
- While the seitan is marinating In the meantime, prepare the tahini sauce and the Homemade hummus
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add marinated seitan and vegetables (including liquid) and cook over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked stirring occasionally.
- Spread hummus on each pita, add about 1/3 cup of cooked seitan, add pickles, top with 1-2 tablespoons of tahini sauce and add parsley and cilantro if using. Roll into a sandwich. See notes 1,2 &3
- If using a pocketless pita roll into a sandwich.
- If using a pocket pita carefully open the pocket and stuff the ingredients inside the pocket.
- If using a roll, slice the roll in half and fill it with the ingredients.
- Want to make it low-carb? Use a lettuce wrap instead of bread or serve over cauliflower rice.
This recipe was originally published on August 8, 2014
Calories are calculated with the sandwich made with pita bread
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 541.3 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.8 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 20.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: veggie sandwich, vegan dinner, vegan meal, kosher,