This summery Caprese Salad uses tomatoes, mozzarella, balsamic glaze, and fresh basil to create a salad that is as simple as it is delicious. It’s just right for backyard barbecues, picnics, or potlucks. There are never any leftovers! People can’t get enough of this bright vegetarian salad.
If you’ve followed us for a while you know we love making food from different regions of the world! We are endlessly inspired by the ways every different culture makes its own distinct dishes with local produce and spices. This Italian classic has become a staple in American homes and restaurants, and with good reason! Caprese Salad is made of easy-to-find ingredients that all combine for a delicious summer salad.
Why is it Called Caprese Salad?
This is a salad with an Italian origin! Its name means “Salad of Capri,” Capri is a beautiful little island off go the southern coast of Italy. It most likely came from a dish served on the Italian island with different tomatoes and cheeses. Yum!
Ingredients in Caprese Salad
This is a classic, fresh, and simple Caprese Salad recipe! It’s a favorite at any table. You’ll be using:
- Sliced fresh mozzarella - The fresher the better! Do you want to make it vegan? Just use vegan mozzarella such as Miyokos.
- Freshly sliced tomatoes - We like to get a variety of colors and sizes! This makes for a beautiful, summery dish with lots of interest.
- Basil leaves - For that incredible smell and even better flavor.
- Olive oil, salt, pepper, and Balsamic Glaze - The glaze has only two ingredients!
Making Caprese Salad Ahead of Time
We would recommend making this salad within a couple of hours of serving it. It tastes best when it’s freshly made! If you want to prep ahead of time, we suggest slicing tomatoes, mozzarella, and preparing Balsamic Glaze, then storing ingredients separately. This way it only needs to be assembled right before serving!
What to Serve With a Caprese Salad
Any of your favorite Italian dishes would be delicious served alongside our Caprese Salad, along with a bottle of red wine. Here are a few we love:
- High Protein Skillet Eggplant Lasagna
- 5-Ingredient Spicy Margherita Pizza
- Protein-Packed Minestrone Soup
- High Protein Spring Vegetable Pasta
- High Protein Pasta Puttanesca
- Pan con tomate
How Long Will Caprese Salad Keep in the Fridge?
This salad is best the day you make it! If you do store it assembled, it will get a bit juicy and you’ll want to drain it before eating. 2-3 days is the maximum time for storing this Caprese Salad!
More Summer Salads
- Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Fatoush Lebanese Bread Salad
- Feta Watermelon Salad
- Tabouleh Salad
- Avocado Chickpea Salad
Did you like our Caprese Salad Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
This Summer Caprese Salad uses tomatoes, mozzarella, balsamic glaze, and fresh basil to create a salad that is as simple as it is delicious. It’s just right for backyard barbecues, picnics, or potlucks. There are never any leftovers! People can’t get enough of this bright vegetarian salad.
- 8 fresh mozzarella slices or more if making for a larger crowd - Make it vegan by using vegan mozzarella.
- 2 large tomatoes of different colors of available and a few multicolor cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- A few basil leaves
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic glaze (optional)
- Slice tomatoes
- Arrange tomatoes and mozzarella slices in a plate of platter
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar
- Serve topped with fresh basil leaves
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 mozzarella slices with tomato
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 200
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 6.7
- Unsaturated Fat: 10
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: .2
- Protein: 14
- Cholesterol: 35
Keywords: Caprese salad, how to make Caprese salad