Second productive weekend in a row. I love it! Ruth, my daughter Raquel (who has become our very efficient intern) and I spent most of the day yesterday testing new recipes. By far, my favorite thing to do.
A few weeks ago, we got an email from Galaxy Nutritional Foods, one of the leading brands of dairy alternative products, asking us if we would like to try some of their goodies. We, of course, accepted and a couple of weeks later received a few containers of their non-dairy cream cheese spreads.
So this past week, we put on our creative hats and started writing down a bunch of recipes we thought would be fun to try. And they all came out great!
Here’s one of my favorite ones. I think it’s a great recipe for summer, with all the amazing fresh produce, especially corn, available in the market.
Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 store-bought whole wheat frozen pie shell
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large zucchini, sliced ¼" thick
- 2 ears corn or 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-8oz package flavored dairy-free cream cheese, such as garlic and chive, onion, black pepper, etc at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the zucchini on both sides over medium heat until golden, about 2-3 minutes (don't let the zucchini get too dark, because it will cook further in the oven). Season with a little salt and pepper to taste and set aside
- Carefully cut the corn kernels off the cob, or use the frozen corn kernels. In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until lightly golden. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the non-dairy cream cheese and almond milk, until smooth. Add the eggs, chopped basil, salt, and pepper and stir until well incorporated. Add the cooked corn and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Arrange the cooked zucchini slices on top and cover the whole surface of the quiche. Bake for 45 minutes or until set. Let it cool slightly before slicing
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 3.4
- Sodium: 286.7
- Fat: 15.8
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19.4
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5.9
- Cholesterol: 69.8