Perfect make ahead breakfast. Just grab a couple of this super nutritious mushroom, zucchini & quinoa muffins to start your day with energy! Vegetarian, gluten-free and great for Passover
After blogging and creating recipes now for a little bit over 2 years, we've discovered a very interesting fact: people LOVE bite size foods, especially when they're made in muffin tins. And quite frankly, what's not to love?! Portion controlled, easy to eat, and best of all, super easy to prepare!
You can pretty much make a "muffin" out of anything. It can be sweet, it can be savory. It can be a cute little appetizer or a quick grab and go breakfast or snack.
Or, like in this case, it could be all 3. You can serve these as appetizers at a party or for dinner, and they make a great, well balanced, satisfying (and easy) breakfast or snack. And, as most of our recipes, you can customize it by using your favorite vegetables or cheeses.
Do you have a favorite muffin tin recipe? Please make sure to share it with us. We would love to hear about it!
Other Frittata Recipes You Will Surely Enjoy:
- Tortilla de patatas
- Eggplant Montadito
- Artichoke and Asparagus Frittatas
- Spinach and Cheese Bites
- Cheese Zucchini Frittata
- For the Quinoa:
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ¼ cups raw quinoa (any variety)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- For the Vegetables:
- 3 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1-8oz pack baby bella mushrooms or any mushrooms of your choice, silced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Cheese and eggs:
- 6 large eggs beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a muffin tin pan generously with cooking spray (this recipes makes 18 muffins)
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add quinoa and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, so it's well coated with oil
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, but not mushy. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cook mushrooms and shredded zucchini in a large skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute for 10-12 minutes on medium, until all the water from the zucchini and mushrooms is gone. Set aside to cool
- In a large bowl, combine beaten eggs, salt and add cheddar cheese. Add cooked vegetables and quinoa and mix well
- Fill 18 muffin tins with egg mixture about ¾ of the way. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top of each muffin
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Let them cool slightly
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container
Quinoa and vegetables can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator. When you want to make the muffins mix with eggs and cheese and bake.
Muffins can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days and eaten cold or reheated.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Breakfast