Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. It was definitely a hot one for us! Once again, 90 degree weather for I don’t know how many days in a row. “Heat wave” they call it. Why? I’m not sure. It’s been hot and humid since summer started!
Ok, I know, time to get over it. Nothing I can do about it really, so there’s no point in complaining.
So… How about all the good food everyone ate yesterday? Care to share with us? We would love to hear about the creations you came up with for your “festivities”.
I, personally like to keep it fresh and simple. Lots of light, colorful salads, maybe some veggie burgers and super cold refreshing drinks. Keeping it light but with tons of flavor. And let me tell you something, my body really thanks me for it the next day!
One of my very favorite greens to “play” with is kale. Packed with nutrients, filling and super versatile! This salad I particularly love because it pretty much has it all: protein and carbs from the chickpeas and tempeh, loads of vitamin A, it’s crunchy, it’s nutty, it’s tangy… Just delicious. And the leftovers make a great lunch to take to work the next day!
Have a great weekend,
- TEMPEH BITS:
- 8oz tempeh
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you like more heat)
- Smoked sea salt (optional)
- 1 lb kale, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1- 15.5oz can chick peas
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce (you can also use Bragg liquid aminos)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- Blanch kale in salted boiling water for about 30 seconds
- Run under cold water and drain. Once it cools, squeeze excess water. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Combine all spices for tempeh in a small bowl
- Pour vegetable oil on a small bowl
- Cut the tempeh into thin slices
- Dip each slice in vegetable oil and arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle spices on top until they are all well coated (one side is enough)
- Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy (keep an eye so they don’t burn!). Sprinkle with some smoked sea salt if using
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a glass jar, close the lid and shake well. Pour over salad and toss until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing.
- Crumble tempeh on top right before serving.
- ENJOY! From May I have that recipe
Cut the tempeh into thin slices.
Dip each slice in vegetable oil and arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle spices on top until they are all well coated (one side is enough)
Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy (keep an eye so they don’t burn!). Sprinkle with some smoked sea salt if using.
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl