This Vegan Gluten Free Quinoa Paella is a delicious twist on the Spanish classic, great for Passover and all year round.
Paella is on of the most delicious and popular Spanish dishes, known all over the world. It is traditionally made with Arborio rice, fish, squid, shrimp, clams and mussels, along with some vegetables, aromatic saffron and sweet paprika.
Paella has a less-well-known cousin called “Fideua”, a dish that is almost identical, but it’s made with noodles instead of rice. Our mom came up with a vegan version back when I first met my husband ( you can read all about it here )
This year, we came up with a new, Passover friendly version made with quinoa, that can be served as a main dish or as a side. Make it your own by adding your favorite seasonal vegetables, bump up the plant based protein by adding chick peas or beans or add a touch of spice with a squeeze of Sriracha o green dragon hot sauce!
Here are a few things that make this Vegan Gluten Free Quinoa Paella an excellent dish:
- High in plant based protein and fiber
- Gluten Free
- Great Vegetarian / Vegan Main Dish or Side Dish
- Looks like a super fancy dish
- Super Tasty!
- It’s a great addition to your Passover and all year round menu
- Great for Meatless Mondays!
This Vegan Gluten Free Quinoa Paella is a delicious twist on the Spanish classic, Quick and easy to make , full of flavor and plant based protein. Vegan, Gluten free, vegetarian and great passover recipe too!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 dozen asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder ( SEE NOTE)
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in an oven proof 12 inch round pan. Saute onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add diced peppers and 1/2 tsp salt and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring often
- Add tomato paste and asparagus, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add quinoa, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and saute with the vegetables for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bouillon. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375F
- Add 1/2 cup of water or vegetable broth, mix well and transfer to the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving
You can use 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth instead of the 1 1/2 cups of water and bouillon powder