This Vegan Gluten-Free Quinoa Paella is a delicious twist on the Spanish classic. Quick and easy to make, full of flavor and plant-based protein. Great for Passover, holiday dinner or weeknight dinner.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 dozen asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water with 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder or ( SEE NOTE 1)
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof 12 inch deep ound pan. Saute onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add diced peppers and 1/2 tsp of the salt and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring often. If peppers look like they may start to burn add 2-3 tablespoons of water at a time until peppers are cooked.
- Add tomato paste and asparagus, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa, paprika, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and saute with the vegetables for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bouillon or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Watch the quinoa paella, if you feel the water or broth if cooking too fast and the dish may burn, just add 1/4 of additional liquid at a time.
- While que quinoa cooks preheat the oven to 375F
- Add 1/2 cup of water or vegetable broth to the pan, mix well, taste and adjust seasoning to your taste and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and cooked or raw lemon slices before serving
- SEE NOTES 2, 3, 4 & 5 FOR MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZING SUGGESTIONS
- You can use 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth instead of the 1 1/2 cups of water and bouillon powder
- The onions, garlic, peppers and tomato paste that are the base for this vegan paella can be made 2-3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Alternatively you can freeze it and use it when ready to cook the quinoa paella.
- Make it your own by adding your favorite seasonal vegetables as artichokes, zucchini, eggplant, peas, corn, edamame etc.
- Bump up the plant-based protein by adding chickpeas or beans
- Add a touch of spice with a squeeze of Sriracha o green dragon hot sauce!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 5.1
- Sodium: 702.8
- Fat: 7.6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36.3
- Fiber: 5.7
- Protein: 8.2
- Cholesterol: 0