Shiitake mushrooms give this high protein fried rice a great umami flavor, and add a meaty texture, without the meat! Vegan and gluten-free
This better-than-takeout shiitake fried rice is perfect for those nights when you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen... or you just don't feel like it! It has everything you need, in just one delicious bowl. Saute the veggies while the rice cooks and this dish will come together in no time!
What's awesome about this shiitake mushroom high protein fried rice?
- It's ready in 30 minutes
- It's nutritionally balanced
- Has 281 calories, almost 16g of plant-based protein and 8.5g of fiber per serving
- You can use your favorite veggie, or whatever you have in your fridge
Tips for making this shiitake mushroom high protein fried rice:
- Use store-bought pre-shredded carrots, so save even more time!
- Use dried, re-hydrated shiitake mushrooms if you can't find fresh
- Double up the recipe, so you can have it for lunch the next day!
- No chickpea rice in hand? Use regular rice, or leftover rice and throw in your favorite protein while you're cooking the veggies
- Make sure you use the Chinese 5 spice it will give this fried rice its distinctive flavor
Check out these other shiitake mushroom recipes
- High Protein Easy Mushroom Pasta
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Best Vegetarian Matza Ball Soup
- Immune Booster Vegan Ramen Bowl
Did you like this shiitake fried rice recipe? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
Shiitake mushrooms give this high protein fried rice a great umami flavor, and add a meaty texture, without the meat!
- 8oz chickpea "rice"
- 3 tsp toasted sesame oil, divided
- ½ lb shiitake mushrooms, thoroughly cleaned and sliced
- 2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice, divided
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 heaping tbsp grated fresh ginger (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp coconut amino (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. Drain well and set aside
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of the 5 spice. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes, tossing often. Transfer to a bowl and set aside
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the zucchini, carrots, corn, ginger, and remaining teaspoon of 5 spice and cook for about 3 minutes, tossing often, until the zucchini is slightly tender
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, rice, tamari and aminos and toss well. Cook for another 2 minutes. Serve warm
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 5.3
- Sodium: 878
- Fat: 7.2
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 46
- Fiber: 8.5
- Protein: 15.8
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: hight protein, gluten free, vegan, plant based, fried rice, shiitake mushrooms