Rosh Hashanah Sweet Basmati Rice with Carrots & Raisins – This Sweet and fragrant basmati rice with carrots and raisins is the perfect vegetarian side dish for any holiday meal. In our house, this is a Rosh Hashanah Favorite. Vegan and Gluten Free.
I can’t believe the Holidays are here again. Didn’t we just post recipes for Passover? Where did time go?? Crazy how each year goes by faster and faster. Scary, really.
I have to say, as much as we enjoy the Holidays, this year for us they are going to be kind of bittersweet. Our parents won’t be able to spend them with us and I can’t even tell you how difficult that is.
We’ve talked many times about our childhood memories growing up in Barcelona. For me, some of my favorites happened around the table on Rosh Hashana, which we always spent with the entire family.
Our mom used to cook the head of a lamb (unheard of here in America!) as part of our tradition. I remember how every year, our cousin Solly, the only boy in the family, used to grab pieces of meat dangling from the eye socket and chase Ruthy and his sister Vanessa with them. Gross… and hilarious at the same time.
I also remember my dad trying to be all serious doing the prayers, while we all laughed hysterically.
And of course, our mom’s wonderful food, especially this Rosh Hashanah Sweet Basmati Rice with Carrots & Raisins.
This Rosh Hashanah Sweet Basmati Rice with Carrots & Raisins recipe we’re sharing today is one of her “inventions” and happens to be one of my very favorites. And the funny thing is, as delicious as it is, she only made it during the Holidays. Maybe that’s what makes it so special 🙂
Hope you like it as much as I do!
Carrots, onions, raisins and rice. Very simple and easy to find ingredients infused our carrot rice with wonderful warm flavors.
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes until translucent
- Add shredded carrots and continue cooking at medium-low heat for about 7 minutes.
- Add water, salt, and raisins and bring to a boil
- Add rice and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer.
- 5. In a separate skillet, toast slivered almonds
- 6. Uncover the rice and quickly and gently fluff it up with a fork. Put the lid back on and let it sit, off the heat, for 10 minutes.
- 7. Top with almonds before serving
- 8. Do you want more Rosh Hashanah Recipe Ideas? Click HERE for our 18 Fabulous Rosh Hashanah Recipes
- 8. ENJOY! from May I have that Recipe
Sweet and fragrant basmati rice with carrots and raisins. The perfect vegetarian side dish for any holiday meal. In our house this is a Rosh Hashanah Favorite. Vegan and Gluten Free.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups freshly shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati rice
- 5 tbsp raw slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- In a 3 qt sauté pan, heat oil and cook onions at medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add shredded carrots and continue cooking at medium-low heat for about 7 minutes
- Add water, salt and raisins and bring to a boil
- Add rice and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes
- In a separate skillet, slivered almonds in 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Set aside
- Uncover the rice and quickly and gently fluff it up with a fork. Put the lid back on and let it sit, off the heat, for 10 minutes.
- Top with almonds before serving
- ENJOY! from May I have that Recipe
IF YOU CANNOT EAT ALMONDS ADD POMEGRANATE SEEDS TO THE RICE BEFORE SERVING. IT WILL GIVE IT A NICE CRUNCH.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 200
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Did you like this carrot rice recipe? Share it! and leave us a star rating.
You want to make this carrot rice, but you have questions? We’re here to help! Connect with us via Instagram, Twitter , Pinterest or Facebook or simply leave us a comment here. We want to get to know you!