Our gluten free crackers are quick, easy to make and totally irresistible. One bowl and a handful of ingredients are all you need! We chose a falafel spices for our flavor profile. Which one would you use? (Recipe and images updated on April 2020)
Have you ever made homemade crackers? It may sound daunting, but they're surprisingly easy to make! The dough comes together in less than two minutes, and all you need is one bowl and a handful of ingredients. No special equipment required! You'll need a baking sheet, a rolling pin and some parchment paper. No yeast, no kneading, no waiting for the dough to rise.
You can customize this gluten-free cracker recipe by using any spices or herbs available in your pantry. We also tested this recipe using spelt flour and regular all purpose flour, and the crackers came out delicious every time.
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Crackers
- Flour - Since we wanted to make a falafel cracker, we used chickpea flour for this recipe, but you can use white, spelt or a combination of whole wheat and white flours. If you want to keep this recipe gluten-free, you can use any one-to-one gluten-free baking flour. You might need to add a few extra tablespoons of water to make the dough come together, depending on the flour you choose.
- Herbs, spices and seeds - we mixed a whole bunch of spices in this recipe to achieve a falafel flavor. You can choose any seasoning you have on hand such as:
- Salt and pepper
- Sumac and sesame seeds
- Flax seeds and sunflower seeds
- Herbes de Provence
- Italian seasoning
- Nutritional yeast and chili powder
- Grilling seasoning
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Mushroom powder
- Salt - We used sea salt to bring all the flavors of these falafel crackers together. Adapt the amount of salt to your taste.
- Oil - We used extra virgin olive oil in our recipe, but you can use any oil you like.
- Water - helps bring the dough together.
How to make these falafel flavored gluten free crackers
Gather and measure the recipe's ingredients
Mix the flour, salt and spices in a large bowl
Add the water and oil and mix well until it forms a dough. Use your best kitchen tool here: your clean hands!
Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with some flour
Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll it thin
Score the dough into 1"X1" squares
Prick each square with a fork
Bake and enjoy!
Did you like these gluten free crackers ? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
Our gluten free crackers are quick, easy to make and totally irresistible. One bowl and a handful of ingredients are all you need! We chose a falafel spices for our flavor profile. Which one would you use?
- 1 cup of garbanzo bean flour (here we used Bob's Red Mill ) (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp sea salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp plant based milk (or water if not available)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Combine the flour and spices in a large bowl and mix well. Add the olive oil, water and milk and knead to form a soft dough (it's best to use clean hand to bring mix the dough)
- Roll the dough between two pieces of lightly floured parchment paper, into a rectangle-ish shape, about 1/8 inch thick
- Score it into small rectangles (1"x1") using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife and prick each rectangle with a fork
- Carefully transfer it to a baking sheet and bake at 375F for 15 minutes
- You can also use regular white flour or a combination of whole wheat and white flours
- Check out the blog post for other flavor combination ideas
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan and Gluten-free
- Serving Size: 10 crackers
- Calories: 75
- Sodium: 239
- Fat: 4.9
- Saturated Fat: .7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1.3
- Protein: 2.2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: homemade crackers, gluten free crackers, cracker recipe