This Vegan Nacho Queso Dip will be a hit on your next party!
Summer is the perfect time to try new things, and we decided to take the challenge to the next level by finding a vegan way to celebrate National Dairy Month. GO VEGGIE is our go to brand of vegan cheese, and we thought this would be a great opportunity to highlight some of the perks of subbing vegan cheese in. The great thing is that the health benefits and flavors are for everyone, even if you aren’t vegan!
We created a delicious vegan nacho queso dip. It’s both dairy and gluten free, and there are literally dozens of things you can pile nacho cheese sauce on which are delicious. In our recipe, we used GO VEGGIE’s new Cheddar Shreds as a base and added scallions, cilantro, jalapeño peppers and fresh tomatoes to give it some bite, heat and freshness. The best part is that you don’t have to sacrifice taste, or the health benefits of dairy cheese!
The Cheddar Shreds are high in calcium and protein, and are free of cholesterol, which is common in dairy cheese. Plus, it’s lower in saturated fat, and calories! Chances are you wouldn’t think ‘nacho queso dip’ when trying to come up with a great, comforting vegan snack… but now you can, just in time for all your summer gatherings.
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk (here we used almond-coconut)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1-8oz pack GO VEGGIE Cheddar Shreds
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 small vine ripe tomato, seeds removed (to prevent the sauce from getting watery) and diced small
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced small
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Garnish (optional)
- Sliced scallions
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced jalapeño peppers
- Chopped cilantro
- Combine milk and corn starch in a small bowl and whisk well to break down any lumps. Pour over a medium size saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, whisking often, until it starts to thicken
- Add Cheddar Shreds, reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for another 5 minutes whisk well so the cheese melts completely
- Remove from heat, add tomatoes, jalapeños, scallion and cilantro and mix well. Garnish with sliced scallion, diced tomatoes and jalapeños and chopped cilantro