This tomato rice soup is quick and easy. It's perfect for those days when you don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but still want a warm, comforting, simple and yet delicious soup. All you need is a few common pantry ingredients and 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free.
Tips and Variations on how to make tomato rice soup
- Start with a large onion, but if you don't have one handy, use garlic instead
- Add a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (you can also use tomato puree)
- Add rice. Any rice would work, short grain, long grain, basmati, jasmine or brown rice. Just make sure to add more water and increase the cooking time if using brown
- This recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of rice, but it's plenty. If you add too much, it will be too thick.
- If you have fresh basil, thyme or dry oregano, you can add it to the tomato rice soup for an herby flavor
- Do you like your soup spicy? Add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce
Other vegan soup recipes you may like
- Moroccan Harira Soup
- Meatless Sausage and Kale Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Coconut Carrot Ginger Soup
- Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
- Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup
How to make tomato rice soup with basil video
Did you like this tomato rice soup recipe? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!
This tomato rice soup is quick and easy. It's perfect for those days when you don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but still want a warm, comforting, simple and yet delicious soup. All you need is a few common pantry ingredients and 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (See note 1)
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup basmati rice (See note 2)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until translucent
- Reduce the heat to low, add the crushed tomatoes, water and salt. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil
- Add the rice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low again, cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the rice starts to soften (increase the time to 30-35 minutes if using brown rice or until the brown rice is tender).
- Take the pot off the heat and keep it covered for another 10 minutes or until the rice has cooked completely
- If you don't have an onion, use garlic instead, just make sure you only saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Any kind of rice will work. If using brown rice, make sure to add more water and increase the cooking time until brown rice is tender.
- Category: Soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 5.5
- Sodium: 343
- Fat: 3.9
- Saturated Fat: .6
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 2.5
- Protein: 3.1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: soup, tomato, rice, vegan, gluten-free, kosher, recipe, basil,