6am. Alarm goes off. Radio goes on: “Today I don’t feel like doing anything… I just wanna lay in my bed…” Thanks a lot, Bruno Mars. As if I needed a reminder. It’s Monday morning. And it’s February. Ugh…
Time to go to that place in my head. You know what I’m talking about, that tiny little place full of positive thoughts that will get me out of bed…
Ah… there it is! I’m thinking coffee first of all, of course; I’m thinking my sister, her camera and our favorite comfort food recipes. And I’m thinking of one of my favorite quotes:” Find something you love to do, and you’ll never work a day in your life“. Yes! Today is going to be a great day. And it’s going to be a productive day. Take that, Bruno.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup parboiled or brown rice
- Salt to taste
- n a large soup pot, sauté grated garlic and chopped basil at medium heat for about a minute, without letting the garlic brown.
- Turn the heat to low, add crushed tomatoes, water and salt. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, stir well. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the rice starts to soften (increase the time to 30-35 minutes if using brown rice).
- Take pot off the heat and keep it covered for another 10 minutes or until rice has cooked completely.