This tomato rice soup is quick and easy. It’s perfect for those days when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but still want a warm, comforting, simple and yet delicious soup. All you need is a few common pantry ingredients and 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced. See note 1
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup basmati rice. See note 2
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil, add onion and sauté onion 7-8 minutes until translucent
- Turn the heat to low, add crushed tomatoes, water and salt. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, stir well. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the rice starts to soften (increase the time to 30-35 minutes if using brown rice or until brown rice is tender).
- Take pot off the heat and keep it covered for another 10 minutes or until the rice has cooked completely.
- If you don’t have an onion use garlic instead, just make sure you only saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice. Any rice would work short grain, long grain, basmati, jasmine or brown rice. Just make sure to add more water and increase the cooking time until brown rice is tender.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 5.5
- Sodium: 343
- Fat: 3.9
- Saturated Fat: .6
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 2.5
- Protein: 3.1
- Cholesterol: 0