Even meat-eaters will absolutely love these Vegan Gluten-Free Chickpea Tacos! They’re a great addition to everyone's Taco Tuesday repertoire.
We've got vegan tacos over here! Bright, colorful, finger-licking, vegan, and gluten-free chickpea tacos will absolutely brighten your day. They’re loaded with cilantro and warming spices, creamy avocado, sweet corn, and juicy tomatoes. Use a corn tortilla, top them off with a garlicky coconut milk yogurt cilantro sauce, and add a couple (or ten) of squirts of sriracha to make it even better.
Chickpea Taco Ingredients
This is one of the quickest, easiest weeknight taco meals out there. Once you have your ingredients these vegetarian tacos assemble in a snap!
- Chickpeas - They add plant-based protein and are a fantastic base for your taco! We spiced the chickpeas with smoked paprika and cumin for really yummy vegan tacos.
- Spices - smoked paprika, sweet paprika, cumin, and salt
- Fresh chopped cilantro - You can use kitchen scissors to easily chop your cilantro into tiny pieces. If you are not a fan of cilantro you can use parsley instead.
- Grape tomatoes - We like to cut each grape tomato in half so they fit into the tacos a bit better.
- Shredded purple cabbage - It adds such a happy burst of color and crunch to vegetarian tacos. Cabbage also contains TONS of vitamin C as well as fiber and antioxidants!
- Avocado - We squeeze a little lemon or lime on top to keep them bright and green once they’re diced! Avocados add healthy fats and dietary fiber.
- Corn - Use fresh or frozen to add a touch of natural sweetness.
- Corn tortillas - This is how we keep these tacos gluten-free. Check your packaging to make sure they’re made with 100% corn flour.
- Sriracha or Green Dragon Sauce - These hot sauces are optional , but perfect if you like a little bit of heat!
How to Make Vegan Tacos
Tacos are actually one of the easiest dishes to make vegan! You can fill them with whatever you want, and in this case, we’ve made a spicy and flavorful filling option that will perfectly satisfy your taco craving. Simply heat a bit of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet before adding chickpeas and spices. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often so the chickpeas are well coated with the spices. Add the cilantro, toss it well, and continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Set aside until you’re ready to fill tortillas!
More Vegan Taco Meat Options
If you want to try a different base for your taco filling, you can use this same method with black beans! They taste differently than chickpeas but are just as delicious. You could even try a combination of the two!
Vegan Sour Cream Taco Topping
Rather than sour cream, we used garlicky coconut milk yogurt and cilantro sauce. It’s made by whisking together coconut milk, garlic, salt, cilantro, and lime juice. It makes for the most delicious drizzle over any kind of taco!
More Vegan Tacos
- Roasted Yellow and Purple Cauliflower Tacos
- Avocado, Mango, Chili Lime Tofu Vegan Tacos - Gluten-Free
- Chipotle Hummus & Roasted Vegetable Healthy Tacos
- Butternut Squash Vegan Tacos
- Beet and Sweet Potato Tacos
- Tacos al Pastor
- Shawarma Veggie Tacos with Tahini Guacamole
- Buffalo Cauliflower Taco
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about this recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
Even meat-eaters will absolutely love these Vegan Gluten-Free Chickpea Tacos! A great addition to everyone's taco recipe repertoire 😉 Bright, colorful, finger-licking, vegan gluten-free chickpea tacos to brighten your day. All wrapped in a corn tortilla and topped with a garlicky coconut milk yogurt cilantro sauce.
- 1-15.5 oz can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro ( set aside 2 tsp for the yogurt sauce)
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1-1 ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ⅛-¼ tsp salt
- 24 grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup corn kernels ( fresh or frozen)
- 6 corn tortillas
- Sriracha sauce to taste (optional)
- Green Dragon Hot Sauce (optional)
- COCONUT YOGURT SAUCE
- ½ cup vegan plain unsweetened yogurt. We use coconut yogurt
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add chickpeas, smoked and sweet paprika, cumin, and salt. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often so the chickpeas are well coated with the spices. Add cilantro, toss well and continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Set aside
- Mash the avocado with 1-1 ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice and ⅛-¼ tsp salt. Mix it until smooth
- To prepare the sauce, whisk all the ingredients together until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use
- To assemble the tacos, spread the mashed avocado on each tortilla. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cabbage, and corn. Drizzle with yogurt sauce and sriracha or green dragon sauce, if using.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 5.7
- Sodium: 423
- Fat: 8.4
- Saturated Fat: 1.1
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 7.6
- Protein: 6.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: kosher, vegetarian, tacos, chickpeas, gluten-free
This post was originally published on May 5th, 2016, the recipe has remained the same. We have updated some pictures and added additional information.