This bright and tasty Red Lentil Soup with Lemon and Cilantro will become a quick favorite in your kitchen. It comes together in very little time, and with just a few ingredients, it couldn’t be easier to make.
One of the best things about cooking with lentils is that they really absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them in! For this recipe, we used bright lemon and cilantro for a vibrant, flavorful Red Lentil Soup. It’s absolutely delicious year-round and a recipe we come back to again and again.
Are Lentils Good For You?
Let’s start with the basics! Lentils are a wonderfully nutritious addition to your diet. They taste amazing, they’re filling, and they are high in protein. They cook quickly and are versatile enough to be used in so many dishes.
Do You Need to Soak Red Lentils For Soup?
One of the things that makes red lentils so incredible for weeknight dinners or even lunches is that they don’t need to soak overnight like other legumes. Just give other lentils a good rinse and they’re ready for the stockpot! They’ll only need 20-30 minutes of cooking time to become tender and ready to enjoy.
Our Vegan Red Lentil Soup recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free. No fancy ingredients needed, just red lentils, garlic, cilantro, lemon, olive oil, and done! We love a simple, affordable vegan meal option.
What Do You Eat With Red Lentil Soup?
This soup truly is delicious by itself! It’s a hearty, warm meal with vibrant flavors. For delicious sides, though, we would recommend a crusty bread or a nutritious salad. We think Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Mushroom Bacon Bits or Black Bean, Quinoa, & Delicata Squash Salad would be great pairings.
How to Make Red Lentil Soup From Scratch
You may be surprised to learn that it’s only a couple of steps. In fact, most of the time is just letting the soup simmer on the stovetop, which makes it really easy to prepare sides!
- First, pick through the lentils and remove any small stones or debris
- Rinse the red lentils well and place them in a pot of boiling, salted water.
- While the lentils cook, saute the cilantro and garlic in olive oil. Add them to the pot with the red lentils.
- Add lemon to taste and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. That’s it!
More Lentil Recipes
- Easy Rigatoni with Lentil Bolognese
- Spiced Coconut Dal
- Lentil and Sweet Potato Vegan Chili
- Rice and Lentils (Mjadra)
- Freekeh & Lentil Stuffed Peppers
- Avocado & Tomato Lentil Salad
- Turmeric Coconut Lentil Quinoa Bowl
- Red Lentil Soup with Lemon and Cilantro
Did you like our Red Lentil Soup Recipe?
Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Your comments inspire us to keep creating recipes! Did you love the recipe? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest and Instagram!Print
This bright and tasty Red Lentil Soup with Lemon and Cilantro will become a quick favorite in your kitchen. It comes together in very little time, and with just a couple of ingredients, it couldn’t be easier to make
- 1 lb of red lentils about 2 ½ cups
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon
- Spread the lentils on a large plate and remove any small stones and other debris
- Rinse lentils in a fine-mesh colander and rinse well until the water runs clear
- In a large soup pot, boil lentils in 8 cups of water until tender, about 20 minutes. The lentils will turn yellow. Skim and discard any white from the surface, if any.
- While the red lentils are cooking, heat olive oil in a medium-size skillet sauté cilantro and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until the cilantro turns dark green. Set aside
- When lentils are tender and cooked garlic and cilantro, lemon juice and stir well.
- Simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: .3
- Sodium: 586
- Fat: 4.8
- Saturated Fat: .7
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 6.6
- Protein: 14.5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Red lentil soup, recipe, lemon, cilantro, how to cook red lentils