Started by Kristy Bernardo, founder of The Wicked Noddle, Jalapeno Mania is a site that hosts exclusively pepper recipes (mild, hot, red, green, yellow… any pepper you can think of!) from all over the web. And since veggies are our thing, we had to be part of it!
So to start our collaboration with Jalapeno Mania in a “mild” way, we’ve created a stuffed bell pepper recipe that is hearty, nutritious and comforting. By using freekeh from Freekehlicious and lentils as our stuffing, we have made this dish a plant based, protein packed, complete meal. You will have extra cooked freekeh and lentils after you make this recipe. You can use it as a side dish, add it to a salad, or use it [url:3]here [/url]instead of wheat berries
If you’ve never tried freekeh before, you should! We guarantee it will become part of your kitchen staple as soon as you try it.
Curious about it? Here’s some good info for you!
Freekeh is an extremely nutritious grain that has been a staple food since 2300 BC. Freekeh in Aramaic means “to rub” referring to the technique by which freekeh is made. Once the freekeh is roasted, the wheat is rubbed to reveal the grain.
- High fiber – four times the fiber of brown rice
- Low GI – aids in managing diabetes
- High in protein content
- Low in available carbs
- High in calcium for bone health
- Rich in prebiotic properties – important for fueling the growth of healthy bacteria
- Rich in lutein – important for eye health
Used in similar ways to quinoa, barley or rice, freekeh is incredibly versatile and wonderful in soups, salads and as a breakfast cereal. The cracked is similar in texture to bulgur wheat; the whole grain to wheat berries in size and texture.
Wanna try it?? Enter our giveaway for a chance to win some freekeh goodies, courtesy of freekehlicious.com
- 3/4 cup raw Whole Grain Freekeh from Freekehlicious
- 3/4 cup raw green french lentils
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cumin (or to taste)
- 4 large red bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a medium size sauce pan bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Add freekeh and lentils, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes
- In the meantime cut off the top of the peppers (do not discard) and remove seeds and membranes
- Remove freekeh and lentils from heat and drain any excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of freekeh mixture, zucchini, parsley, olive oil and remaining salt, turmeric and cumin and mix well
- Fill peppers 3/4 of the way. Place tops on top. Transfer stuffed peppers to a baking dish and bake at 400F for 40 minutes.
- Drizzle with pomegranate reduction right before serving.
You will have extra cooked freekeh and lentils. You can use it as a side dish, add it to a salad, or use it here instead of wheat berries
To enter the giveaway click the rafflecopter link bellow: