This pita sandwich is a Middle Eastern take on a grilled cheese sandwich made with pita bread, feta cheese, and za'atar. This Za’atar Grilled Cheese recipe is the comfort food at its best!
As much as we love an innovative, elaborate meal, we also love simple classics that warm you from the inside out! That’s what this Za’atar Grilled Cheese Pita Sandwich is. It’s just a pita and melted cheese, but we added feta and za’atar to give it a Middle Eastern grilled cheese feel that’s become a family favorite!
What is Pita Bread?
This is a Mediterranean flatbread made simply with flour, water, yeast, and salt that you can split open into a pocket. This makes it perfect for filling with all kinds of different foods such as falafel, hummus, Moroccan Matbucha, roasted beet hummus, and in this case, cheeses and za’atar! Pita bread is also known as Arabic bread or Syrian bread. Greek-style pita bread is pocketless.
What is Feta Cheese?
Feta is a semi-soft briny Greek cheese traditionally made with sheep's milk, although you can find feta cheese made with cow's milk or a combination of both. It’s tangy, and salty which makes feta cheese delicious on sandwiches, watermelon salad, zucchini frittata, shakshuka, pasta, and of course, on this pita sandwich! We love feta made from sheep’s milk the best. It has a delicious, rich flavor.
What is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a blend of herbs and spices that adds warmth and bold flavor to your favorite dishes. It’s simply delicious eaten with bread dipped in oil or sprinkled on veggies, toast, eggs, pizza, or focaccia. A good-quality Lebanese za’atar should only contain four ingredients: the dried za’atar herb, sumac, sesame seeds, and salt. Simple and delicious! Don't be fooled with imitation herb condiments made with oregano, thyme, or marjoram! Check out this article for more information on authentic za’atar.
How to Make a Grilled Pita Bread Sandwich
It’s as simple as any grilled cheese! Carefully split your pita open, arrange the cheese and sprinkle za’atar, spread butter on the outside of the pita bread, then cook it on the stovetop in a pan or griddle until it becomes a beautiful toasty brown and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
More Recipes with Za’atar
- Bamboo Rice and Za’atar Tempeh Spring Bowl
- Focaccia Bread with Olives, Za’atar, and Tomatoes
- Gluten-Free Za’atar Bagel Chips with White Bean Dip
- Baked Za’atar Eggplant Fries with Tahini Dipping Sauce
- Salad with Za’atar Croutons and Tangy Tahini Dressing
- Za’atar Olive Tapenade
DID YOU LIKE OUR PITA SANDWICH?
If you enjoyed this recipe. It would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.
This post was originally published on February 6, 2012. We have republished this recipe to include more useful information and step by step images.Print
This pita sandwich is a Middle Eastern take on a grilled cheese sandwich made with pita bread, feta cheese, and za'atar. This Za’atar Grilled Cheese recipe is the comfort food you’ll crave and make time after time.
- 1 pita bread
- 2 oz cheddar cheese or muenster cheese, sliced or shredded
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese*, about 1 ounce
- 1 tsp zaatar
- 2 tsp butter
- Carefully, split the pita pocket bread in half using a paring knife.
- Butter the outside of the two pita bread halves and place on a plate or working surface, buttered side down.
- In one half of the pita bread arrange cheddar or muenster cheese, making sure it doesn’t get too close to the edges. If it does, just fold in the edges.
- Add feta cheese and sprinkle with zaatar
- Place the other half of the pita bread on top of the cheese and carefully place the pita sandwich on a hot skillet, griddle, or panini maker.
- Cook on medium heat for about 1 minute or until the pita is toasted and golden brown. Turn the sandwich over and let the other side cook the same way until the cheese is melted.
- For a vegan option, you can substitute non-dairy cheeses for regular cheese.
- Zaatar is a Middle Eastern herb mixture that can be found in specialty stores.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 grilled cheese
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 3.3
- Sodium: 968
- Fat: 33.7
- Saturated Fat: 19.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 38.7
- Fiber: 3.9
- Protein: 23.3
- Cholesterol: 101.7
Keywords: kosher, grilled cheese, middle eastern grilled cheese, pita sandwich, zaatar