This pita sandwich is a Middle Eastern take on a grilled cheese sandwich made with pita bread, feta cheese, and za'atar. This Za’atar Grilled Cheese recipe is the comfort food you’ll crave and make time after time.
- 1 pita bread
- 2 oz cheddar cheese or muenster cheese, sliced or shredded
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese*, about 1 ounce
- 1 tsp zaatar
- 2 tsp butter
- Carefully, split the pita pocket bread in half using a paring knife.
- Butter the outside of the two pita bread halves and place on a plate or working surface, buttered side down.
- In one half of the pita bread arrange cheddar or muenster cheese, making sure it doesn’t get too close to the edges. If it does, just fold in the edges.
- Add feta cheese and sprinkle with zaatar
- Place the other half of the pita bread on top of the cheese and carefully place the pita sandwich on a hot skillet, griddle, or panini maker.
- Cook on medium heat for about 1 minute or until the pita is toasted and golden brown. Turn the sandwich over and let the other side cook the same way until the cheese is melted.
- For a vegan option, you can substitute non-dairy cheeses for regular cheese.
- Zaatar is a Middle Eastern herb mixture that can be found in specialty stores.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 grilled cheese
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 3.3
- Sodium: 968
- Fat: 33.7
- Saturated Fat: 19.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 38.7
- Fiber: 3.9
- Protein: 23.3
- Cholesterol: 101.7
Keywords: kosher, grilled cheese, middle eastern grilled cheese, pita sandwich, zaatar