Well, here we go. Not even june and we got hit with our first heat wave. Three straight days of muggy, sticky 90 degree weather. Just like that. Went from a brutally cold winter to this, with almost no in between.
This almost extreme weather is already starting to get old. And is making us miss the beautiful, mild Barcelona weather even more than we already do.
No point in complaining about it, we know. All we can do really is find ways to beat the heat, right? Which means… It’s time for cooling, light and refreshing dishes.
And what better way to start than, of course, with a salad. Not your everyday lettuce-and-tomato-heavy-dressed salad though.
Check it out 🙂
And if you’ve never heard of or seen kohlrabi before, this is it! Similar to a turnip tasted a little bit like cabbage and broccoli, but slightly sweeter. It’s crunchy, filling and high in fiber!
- 1 medium kohlrabi, diced
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- Walnut vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 3 tbsp water
- Place the walnuts in a dry pan at medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t burn. Set aside to cool
- Combine all salad ingredients, except basil, in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt, toss well and set aside
- To prepare the walnut vinaigrette, blend together toasted walnuts, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper agave and water until smooth.
- Top salad with dressing and chopped basil right before serving