Sambousek filled with cheese, also know as bourekas, is our grandmother's recipe. It's a real treat, buttery flaky dough filled with rich, salty cheese. It is worth the time it takes to make them. Warning: they will not last long.
It made me think of our grandmother, Abuelita. For years, she stayed with us during our summer vacation while our parents were away. She always gave us her undivided attention, all the time. No distractions. Just absolute pure, love and dedication.
This is one of the many (many) delicious treats she used to make for us. These cheese borekas will always remind us of her the most. The absolute best we've ever had. Even our neighbors used to get all excited knowing she would be coming to visit, hoping she would bake a batch for them!
Give them a try and we're sure you will love them too.
How to make cheese Sambousek
1. Roll out the boreka dough on a floured surface, about ⅛ inch thick
2. Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out 3.5 inch rounds
3. Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling in the center
4. Fold it to create a half-moon
5. Seal the edges using your fingers or a fork
6. Brush borekas with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake at 350F for 15 minutes
Bake to irresistible perfection
Other Middle Eastern Food Recipes
- Fattoush Salad
- Watermelon Feta salad
- Deconstructed Hummus
- Tabbouleh (Tabouli) Salad
- Semolina borekas
This cheese borekas ( sambusek) recipe is our grandmother's recipe, it is a real treat, buttery flaky dough filled with cheese. It is worth the time it takes to make them. Warning: they will not last long.
- For the dough:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 16 tbsp cold butter, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ice-cold water
- For the filling:
- 5oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 6oz sheep's milk feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten separately
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- To prepare the dough, combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until it resembles coarse cornmeal
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and cold water. Pour into flour/butter mixture and pulse until it forms a dough.
- Lightly flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Combine cheddar and feta cheeses with one beaten egg and salt. Mix well
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, about ⅛ inch thick. Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out 3.5-inch rounds
- Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling in the center, fold it to create a half moon and seal the edges using your fingers or a fork
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Israeli
- Serving Size: 1 boreka
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: .3
- Sodium: 262.7
- Fat: 11.6
- Saturated Fat: 3.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.1
- Fiber: .3
- Protein: 3.7
- Cholesterol: 30.3
Keywords: sambusek, borekas, shavuot, cheese