This cheese borekas (sambusek) recipe is our grandmother’s recipe, it is a real treat, buttery flaky dough filled with cheese. It is worth the time it takes to make them. Warning: they will not last long.
Life is full of heartwarming moments. Whether we are part of them or we’re just there to witness them, they happen more often than we think. All we have to do is open our eyes and pay attention.
A few days ago I witnessed one of those moments that I thought it was worth sharing. Nothing big, but something you don’t see too often nowadays, unfortunately.
I was sitting at a park doing some work when I saw a father and a son, must have been 6 or 7 years old, ride their bikes and stop nearby. They sat together on the grass for a good half an hour, just chatting. They then got up and started playing soccer for a little while. Then sat again, and continued talking. They must have been there for at least an hour and a half. The kid had his father’s attention the entire time. He didn’t look at his phone or seemed at all distracted, not for a single second. They hopped on their bikes and left.
I couldn’t help it but watch them with a smile on my face. How often do we see something like that anymore?
It made me think of our grandmother, Abuelita. For years, she stayed with us during our summer vacation while our parents were away. She always gave us her undivided attention, all the time. No distractions. Just absolute pure, love and dedication.
Of the many (many) delicious treats, she used to make for us, the one we will always remind us of her the most are these cheese borekas. The absolute best we’ve ever had. Even our neighbors used to get all excited knowing she would be coming to visit, hoping she would bake a batch for them!
Give them a try and we’re sure you will love them too.
1. Roll out the boreka dough on a floured surface, about 1/8 inch thick
2. Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out 3.5 inch rounds
3. Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling in the center
4. Fold it to create a half moon
5. Seal the edges using your fingers or a fork
6. Brush borekas with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake at 350F for 15 minutes
This cheese borekas ( sambusek) recipe is our grandmother’s recipe, it is a real treat, buttery flaky dough filled with cheese. It is worth the time it takes to make them. Warning: they will not last long.
- For the dough:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 16 tbsp cold butter, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
- For the filling:
- 5oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 6oz sheep’s milk feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten separately
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- To prepare the dough, combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until it resembles coarse cornmeal
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and cold water. Pour into flour/butter mixture and pulse until it forms a dough.
- Lightly flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Combine cheddar and feta cheeses with one beaten egg and salt. Mix well
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out 3.5-inch rounds
- Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling in the center, fold it to create a half moon and seal the edges using your fingers or a fork
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.