This cheese borekas ( sambusek) recipe is our grandmother’s recipe, it is a real treat, buttery flaky dough filled with cheese. It is worth the time it takes to make them. Warning: they will not last long.
- For the dough:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 16 tbsp cold butter, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
- For the filling:
- 5oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 6oz sheep’s milk feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten separately
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- To prepare the dough, combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until it resembles coarse cornmeal
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and cold water. Pour into flour/butter mixture and pulse until it forms a dough.
- Lightly flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Combine cheddar and feta cheeses with one beaten egg and salt. Mix well
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out 3.5-inch rounds
- Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling in the center, fold it to create a half moon and seal the edges using your fingers or a fork
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.