Purple Kale Farro Bowl – Super healthy vegetables and whole grain farro make a delicious and filling plant based main dish.
Whether you’re looking to new ideas for your Meatless Monday, or looking for new recipes to add to your vegan or vegetarian diet, you are going to love this hearty Purple Kale Farrow Bowl. The beautiful colors alone will make you want to dig in right away!
If you are not familiar with farro, it’s an ancient grain similar to wheat, that has been eaten in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries for thousands of years. It’s high in fiber, B vitamins, iron and magnesium, as well as a great source of plant based protein. Farro is slightly chewy and nutty, and it’s a great addition to soups, salads and stews. It’s also super filling!
The addition of nutrient packed veggies, like beautiful purple kale and juicy tomatoes, makes this delicious bowl a healthy and nutritious dish that the entire family will love. It’s great served as a main or a side dish, and you can turn the left overs into a hearty salad to enjoy the next day. Just add some fresh veggies and your favorite dressing and lunch is served!
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Village Harvest Pearled Farro, rinsed and drained.
- ¾ plus ⅛ tsp salt, divided
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups purple kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 large Portabella mushroom caps, diced
- 15 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium sauce pan with a lid. Add the garlic and cook over medium heat for about for 2 minutes, stirring often
- Add the farro and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often
- Add 1¼ cups of water and ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Set aside
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the purple kale and ¼ teaspoon of salt and sauté for 10 minutes, until soft. Transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of oil. Add the diced mushrooms and sauté for 6-7 minutes, until all the water has evaporated. Add ⅛ teaspoon of salt and the black pepper
- Add the grape tomatoes to the skillet and sauté for 2-4 minutes until soft
- Combine the cooked farro, kale, mushrooms and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss well. Serve warm.